Discuss Help!!...info needed for a 3 phase board in a domestic!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Crisp1987

Hello

I have a situation, need to install a 3 phase board in a domestic as the current demand is big due to lots of circuits, sauna room and other appliances ( Even after ive applied diversity) . Some 1 said to me that he thinks he heard of a regulation where a 3 phase board must be lockable and mounted at a different height than a single phase board. as well as other special requirements.

I think hes confused, But if any one does know of any regs wheather they be building part M or P or bs 7671

Please let me know along with the reg no.

Thanks.

Tony

First thing to ask is is there 3P already present at this property???

Are you sure a 100A single phase supply isn't sufficient, is it a large house with lots of family members for instance???

I do work for a couple that own a manor house it probably has 12 sub boards the place is so large. It has garages, outbuildings, self contained flat above an outbuilding, swimming pool (electrically heated),2 electric 10.5 Kw showers. All on a single phase 100A fuse. If i worked out the load with the diversity it would probably come out that i needed a 200A three phase supply but it is running quite happily on a 100A single phase supply!

I do work for a couple that own a manor house it probably has 12 sub boards the place is so large. It has garages, outbuildings, self contained flat above an outbuilding, swimming pool (electrically heated),2 electric 10.5 Kw showers. All on a single phase 100A fuse. If i worked out the load with the diversity it would probably come out that i needed a 200A three phase supply but it is running quite happily on a 100A single phase supply!

Agreed. I've just done a new build where the diverse load on paper is something like 250A. It's hanging off an 80A 88-3 quite happily so far.

To put a 3ph conversion into an existing domestic is usually a whole world of pain and expense; I'd been VERY certain of your justification before putting it to the client!

Crisp,
can you clarify: are you talking about an actual 3ph supply in this house, or just using a 3ph board because you need a lot of ways?

If the latter, you could just split the tails with a henley and fit a second 1ph board.

I think your 'friend' is confused too.

There's a 3p cottage near me, Western Power put in the supply when they kept blowing the 100A fuse every time the new water heater turned on. Although it's 3p, there's only 2 phases used 1 for the existing circuits and another purely for the heater. Both boards are above the front door next to the meter etc.

Another place I was at recently, a large house, had phase 1 for one side of the house, phase 2 for the middle and phase 3 on the far side, all on single phase boards.

Neither of these are locked away or way out of reach.

Reply to Help!!...info needed for a 3 phase board in a domestic!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock