Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Help! Is this wiring correct? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m having my house extended and they have run a grey 2 core cable with black and red wires coming out of it ( but no apparent earth) to all the downlights and I think the same or similar to the sockets and light switches. Is this correct wiring? I read something about red and black being old wiring and I am concerned about not seeing an earth cable. Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Aico 3000 Range

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
As above we need a picture of the end of the cable. Also how old is the property?

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I’m having my house extended and they have run a grey 2 core cable with black and red wires coming out of it ( but no apparent earth) to all the downlights and I think the same or similar to the sockets and light switches. Is this correct wiring? I read something about red and black being old wiring and I am concerned about not seeing an earth cable. Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
In the picture you provided it shows the cable pushed up in to the ceiling and has green and yellow tape on it, are these cables live? if yes be careful taking a pic of thd cores of the cable.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
that cable certainly looks like T/E.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Also turn off the mains and take a pic of the wiring to a socket and light switch.

Oh and welcome to the forum mate.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
You are right in saying red and black are old colours. Stopped being used around 2005.

It’s not right, but I’ve seen T&E run to new downlights with the earths cut off. There has to be an earth run to every point in case a metal accessory is fitted in the future.

Where would anyone buy twin without an earth these days?

I would think the earths have been cut off at the lights, but are present at the switches and sockets.
Is there any empty cable drums left or in a skip you can see? The cable number will be 6242Y for regular twin and earth

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
got to be better than this. found in pete999's attic. :eek::eek::eek::p.
1563696346267.png

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Judging by the screws in the plasterboard that downlighter is very close to the joist.
Also there appears to be an earth wire sleeved showing , but not clearly .

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Judging by the screws in the plasterboard that downlighter is very close to the joist.
Also there appears to be an earth wire sleeved showing , but not clearly .
looks to me like it's in the joist.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
WARNING..... cowboy alert.....

1563700938792.png

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to Help! Is this wiring correct? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom