Discuss help , ive pat tested a drill that as passed but doesnt work how please in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

might have passed IR and earth bond ( if classI) tests, but not functional test. it can be electrically safe, but not work due to a number of possibles, worn carbon brushes, o/c winding, duff switch. take your pick. hope you checked the plug fuse.

What is your background, this would have been explained as part of your PAT test course, and your drill cant have passed if it isnt functional, it shouldn't have been issued a passed if it dosn't work, the test results may be misleading if part of the drill is faulty, why did you pass it????

It's wise to function test first.

I hope it wasn't a big Hilti or the like, could be a costly mistake!
Must disagree here, function test can only be done after passing the all other tests, consider the earth broken on a drill with a fault and you do the function test first, it could kill where as the broken earth would show and fail on the tester thus stopping you doing a dangerous function test.

Sorry to say but very poor advice!

Last edited:
Its all down to experiance if you are handed an old drill for testing then I would tend to function test it first. I worked on a chemical plant years ago during a shutdown and the oil company said as part of good relations we will PAT test all contractor leads and equipment and if we find any dodgy leads we will replace / repair them free of charge so we bought in 100 drums of 1.5mm yellow flex and 300 110v plugs and socket. One of the contractors cottened on that nobody was auditing this so they got their van driver to shuttle back and forth with plant and leads so we started function testing the equipment and yes you guessed it all the old drills and grinders that was not working so hence why I function test

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, but what do you in the situation with the belligerent customer who turns round and says it worked fine before you tested it?
You pre-empt any customer what the tester actually does and during the high voltage and high current test that it may cause any weak points in the electrics to fail during the tests but highlight the fact that it wont cause any issues if the item is electrically sound, explain part of the device failed during the testing as the tester tests the device beyond its normal working conditions, failure during this testing means the item wasn't safe to use. Never let the customer assume you've broken it in the first place, with IT equipment i cover my back with a cover note about the info on the hard-drive could in rare circumstances be corrupted and they need to back up any important data.
If your customer is blaming you for something not working after you tested it then you haven't explained correctly what you are actually doing when testing, i always talk to someone in charge and explain one to one the scope of small risks that come with testing and possibility of items failing fuctionally during tests.
This leaves no room for them to lie or claim back on any issues - don't forget to back it up in writing prior to the testing.

you have time to talk at £1 a item ?

Do pat testers actually have vocalising abilities left, given that the brain has been attacked in such a numbing manner after a fair quantity of then there pat tests have been carried out
help , ive pat tested a drill that as passed but doesnt work how please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Must disagree here, function test can only be done after passing the all other tests, consider the earth broken on a drill with a fault and you do the function test first, it could kill where as the broken earth would show and fail on the tester thus stopping you doing a dangerous function test.

Sorry to say but very poor advice!

Disagree here. I have tested thousands of items over the years and the first thing I do is check it works, in exactly the same way that it was being used before it was handed over. I don't consider this a "function test", as this is done after all other testing. It is merely a quick check that the item is in working order before any other tests are carried out. Splitting hairs? Maybe. Saves a lot of hassle tho.

This could be a case of terminology, but my post does have a genuine point about the testing coming before from a safety aspect and yes agree if its in regular use and you know that its normal to just plug in first and try it but not evrything your given has a obvious frequency of use and its these i would test before functional testing, my tester also has a Run test which cant be used until all previous tests have passed and it also will refuse to run test if pre-set leakage detected. This is the monitored funtion test and it was stressed for safety on the course about the order these tests are carried out, yes its easy to fall into another routine but at the end of the day how many items fail that you have just plugged in and function tested over the years.... one day you may cop a nasty one.

Dont get my posts wrong as i said i do just plug and function test myself then PAT test it but only if i know its use and history, but im posting from an advice point of view and even though it may sound overboard you have to agree it makes sense from a safety point of view.

Dont get my posts wrong as i said i do just plug and function test myself then PAT test it but only if i know its use and history, but im posting from an advice point of view and even though it may sound overboard you have to agree it makes sense from a safety point of view.

Fair enough mate. You have to put safety first when giving advice. :)

Hi - I realise this post is a week old, but thought it might be worth contributing.

PAT Testing is a check to see if the appliance is SAFE. It is not necessarily concerned with whether the appliance works as it should. For example, a video recorder might not record properly because of a fault or a computer might not connect to the internet because the network settings are all messed up. In both of these example the appliances are not 'working' properly although they will probably still be safe.

In the case of a power tool or piece of machinery, it is possible that worn brushes could cause sparks, or dodgy bearings could cause a dangerous rattle. Neither of these two faults would be picked up by the earth bond and insulation tests, so a function test is advisable. Of course, as stated above, the function test should be carried out AFTER the inspection, earth and insulation tests.

Even something simple like a blown fuse in the plug would have the same effect as forgetting to switch the appliance 'on' for the insulation test, so a satisfactory function check has the effect of 'validating' the rest of the test process.

In this particular case I think the OP would have been wise to check the appliance actually worked as expected before passing it.

Hope this helps.

as stated above, the function test should be carried out AFTER the inspection, earth and insulation tests

Each to their own.

I'll conduct a function test before any other (in addition to a second lastly), to ascertain whether an appliance is operational before connecting to a test instrument. This is simply to eliminate any wayward accusations that i have damaged a clients equipment. If anything is suspect I will discuss with client at the time. I will always treat appliances appropriately and would never knowingly cause damage but there are some folks who are quick to pass blame for inoperable appliances. I'm not going to put myself in the firing line for the sake of a few moments check/ insp.

I had similar problem with some Hilti breakers I was testing, I had my suspicions that it was something to do with the soft starts as the breakers were reasonably new. I rang the megger tech services for advice and they confirmed the soft starts can cause the tools not to run whilst under test. I use a megger 420.

I'll conduct a function test before any other (in addition to a second lastly), to ascertain whether an appliance is operational before connecting to a test instrument.

I know this thread which has been resurrected is ancient, however I would suggest that it is very poor practice indeed to perform a functional test on an appliance before you have ascertained that it is safe to energise!

Reply to help , ive pat tested a drill that as passed but doesnt work how please in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock