Discuss Help, Lighting Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LeeJayyx

My client has asked for her kitchen lights to be re-wired, im an apprentice which has been made redundant so have my own minimal basic work coming in, however i assume i will have to rewire the whole circuit back to the CU, maybe leaving the drops in for the switches?! My concern is going to be getting to the board if i have no access from above. My other concern will be the route taken with the cable to the board as i would prefer not to chase into walls. As you can probably tell i have not yet viewed the property, however would like to have a bit better knowledge of how to go about the job once i interact with the customer. Would appreciate any of your guys tricks of the trade and how you may go about these jobs, thanks in advance, Lee.

Hi,
A bit more information would be useful, ie why does she want the lights re-wired and do you feel you are competent to do the work?
Answers may then be forthcoming.

Regards.

In my view, an apprentice should not be carrying out any kind of works unsupervised.

You have the name 'apprentice' because you are not yet trained in the industry... So being a member of a 'scheme' is irrelevant.

Others may disagree..

Not a member of a scheme but with my consider myself competent, Clive i've received very little detail of the job myself, im just very eager and all for the prep of how to go about this job to eliminate any problems early on

In my view, an apprentice should not be carrying out any kind of works unsupervised.

You have the name 'apprentice' because you are not yet trained in the industry... So being a member of a 'scheme' is irrelevant.

Others may disagree..

Hum, I'm going to disagree with you on this. He could be a 3rd year chap, far better equiped than a Electrical Trainee and could easily be a member of a scheme - unlike you.

Others may disagree..

Would be a bit different if it was a major rewire but have had experience, and this hardly being a massive task lets be honest? Without a job i think its all in good faith to keep within the trade and remain active, maybe you would understand more in my posistion

Hum, I'm going to disagree with you on this. He could be a 3rd year chap, far better equiped than a Electrical Trainee and could easily be a member of a scheme - unlike you.

I agree, he could be a 3rd year apprentice however, still an apprentice therefore should not be unsupervised.

Would you knowingly allow an apprentice in your house to carry out works?

Would be a bit different if it was a major rewire but have had experience, and this hardly being a massive task lets be honest? Without a job i think its all in good faith to keep within the trade and remain active, maybe you would understand more in my posistion

If you admit it's 'hardly being a massive task' then why are you asking for advice on how to get a cable from a to b?!

I agree, he could be a 3rd year apprentice however, still an apprentice therefore should not be unsupervised.

Would you knowingly allow an apprentice in your house to carry out works?

Elecsa, Napit and NICEIC have allowed thousands of people join their schemes and use their credentials, often posting here without half a clue as to what they are doing.

Then why post on a forum for advice about it?

Elecsa, Napit and NICEIC have allowed thousands of people join their schemes and use their credentials, often posting here without half a clue as to what they are doing.

That's just more proof of the scam which everyone calls it.

However, you appear to have avoided my question with something totally unrelated to my post which you quoted.

Unless the scheme allow apprentices to join and carry out lone working?

If the above is true, that's just crazy!

i imagine he's more concerned about installing the cable without major damage to the decor. something we don't learn at college. @ OP. you need to discuss options with the client first, e.g. mini-trunking as opposed to chasing etc. and ascertain if the curcuit needs rewiring to the CU or just in the kitchen , maybe connecting into the feed with a MF junction box.

Because its not? i just need to know what electricians with a bit more knowledge would go about this as i want to keep the house as tidy and damage free as possible, whats with all the grief?

The grief is that you should not be carrying out electrical works unsupervised in a member of the publics house. You are not fully trained!

Does the home owner know you are not fully trained?

On the asssumption the O.p also has Public Liability insurance, you first need to find out why and how the customer has decided rewiring is needed.

Rewiring the lights to them may not be what you (we) know rewiring to be.

The grief is that you should not be carrying out electrical works unsupervised in a member of the publics house. You are not fully trained!

Does the home owner know you are not fully trained?

he says he's got 2330 levl 3, and 2 years hands on. what more do you want? we all had to start somewhere, some of us before forums, internet, cordless drills and transistor radios !

Reply to Help, Lighting Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net