Discuss Help me plaese need some advise (College home learning.). in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asoe209

Hi there im hoping some one could give me some advise on a life choice im trying to make.

well here goes i am 24 years old and working as an administrator and i live in south London, i fell its time for a change. i have come to the dession that office work is not the place for me and the money is not really there. And i now want to do some thing with my hands.

i have been looking into a few electrican courses and most of the ones that i have found on like have been home learning ones. not they all seem to sound grate but i am un sure weather doing one of thses is some thing that an employer will be happy to take on.

the best one i have found said you do the course all the stuff is posted out to you and you just work through the matriel towards the end of each module you do a week at cardif or some where. with all the practial stuff. and an exam at the end. there are 4 modules and they say you finish this in about a year. the total cost of the course is £5000 and they say they can put you in to work at the end of it.

now right now i dont know the first thing about eletrics and im thinking this seems a little short to become fully qualified. as well as weather an employer will even look at some one that got it form a home learning course.

the exams are city&gilds and you do get a part p. with i belive is some thing that you need from what i have been reading.

im guess that there must be some quiffied people on here that can advise me on weather a home learning course is a good why to become an electrican or weather i have to go to college to do this.

i would be gratfull to know if any one has done a home learning course. are they lagit if you have done one. or what is the best way to become an electrican and how long will it take to do it.

thanks.:)

Home learning is not for everyone and has you state you have no knowledge of electrics i think i would be inclined to opt for the college route,i did 3 nights a week for 2 years plus working in the trade as well,and you get better support ,advice face to face.

Home learning is not for everyone and has you state you have no knowledge of electrics i think i would be inclined to opt for the college route,i did 3 nights a week for 2 years plus working in the trade as well,and you get better support ,advice face to face.

that makes sense. may i ask how long it take before you can start working in the trade while going college. is it hard to get a spot while in college.

You don't need to be at college to get a job in the trade, or be in the trade to go to college either. Having taken the initiative to get into college does help to impress future employers IMHO. I'd deffinitely opt for the college route if possible. You'll get to discuss things you can't get to grips with, plus you will make contacts that may lead to a job.

I'd be inclined to try all of the local sparks and bigger employers to see if anyone's after a mate. Be prepared to start on low money initially, but in the long run it will be worth it. Good luck!

Pull your finger out of your ar*e and you may even get lucky and be able to enrol for this years courses.

You want to be looking for the City & Guilds 2330 Electrical Installation.

Your 24 so classed as a mature student which will probably go in your favour. (Commitment, maturity, etc).

Next step. Go on yell.com (or Yellow Pages) look up ALL electrical contractors/companies/firms, etc and do either or all of the following:

1) Phone them up asking if theiy have any vacancies for a labourer or electricians mate.

2) Send them e-mails attaching a copy of your CV (or not) asking the same as above.

3) Visit them in person and ask the same (personally I find this much better as you can tell so much from a person face to face).

4) Visit local building sites asking to start as a labourer. Your in 'the door' so to speak, you'll get to meet joiners, plumbers, electricians (sparks), ducters and whoever and who knows what opportunities may then arise?

Most importantly, show willingness to learn, interest, punctuality and you wont go far wrong.

Also, if you do get on with a firm, this will also go in your favour when enrolling at college.

Oh yeah, finally, if you have £45 spare (and even if you don't) get yourself a CSCS Card (Google it). You won't get on some building sites without one and it is a ridiculously easy 'exam' to partake in.

Hope this has helped some. Good luck in your search and keep us posted with your progress.

Pull your finger out of your ar*e and you may even get lucky and be able to enrol for this years courses.

You want to be looking for the City & Guilds 2330 Electrical Installation.

Your 24 so classed as a mature student which will probably go in your favour. (Commitment, maturity, etc).

Next step. Go on yell.com (or Yellow Pages) look up ALL electrical contractors/companies/firms, etc and do either or all of the following:

1) Phone them up asking if theiy have any vacancies for a labourer or electricians mate.

2) Send them e-mails attaching a copy of your CV (or not) asking the same as above.

3) Visit them in person and ask the same (personally I find this much better as you can tell so much from a person face to face).

4) Visit local building sites asking to start as a labourer. Your in 'the door' so to speak, you'll get to meet joiners, plumbers, electricians (sparks), ducters and whoever and who knows what opportunities may then arise?

Most importantly, show willingness to learn, interest, punctuality and you wont go far wrong.

Also, if you do get on with a firm, this will also go in your favour when enrolling at college.

Oh yeah, finally, if you have £45 spare (and even if you don't) get yourself a CSCS Card (Google it). You won't get on some building sites without one and it is a ridiculously easy 'exam' to partake in.

Hope this has helped some. Good luck in your search and keep us posted with your progress.

Hi thanks sound like a good plan and you right about pulling my finger out.

so am i right in thinking that i should enroll to a college 1st then do all the other steps you advised on.

my only concern right now is losing money i have a few things to pay out(car, insurance & rent being the main) for so i cant take to much f a drop right now.

im going to give Vaxuall college a ring tomorrow and see what they say on prices.

You never lose money when you invest in yourself.

*Assumes a Zen-like position*

College 1st... Hmmm, personally I got on as a labourer first then enrolled but each to their own!

Let us know how you get on.

You never lose money when you invest in yourself.

*Assumes a Zen-like position*

College 1st... Hmmm, personally I got on as a labourer first then enrolled but each to their own!

Let us know how you get on.

hi
i would think it would be easier to get a job if allready working as a labourer ,if i was starting somone i would be looking to see if they were reliable and could get up in the morning and also if they were the right type of person to work on a site,the initial handshake probably says it all,so get out there grafting asap if i were you:rolleyes:

By the way thats a nice bit of phylosophy there Bane:)

My advice would be for you to look to get on with a JIB registered firm as an adult trainee , the money is OK as all rates are set by the JIB, trainees are on the same as labourers £9 ph ???, and try and get your self enrolled on a night courses if you can at your local college .......... if your long term aim is to work for your self I'd also look at the gas fitting courses , better money , easier to learn , less cowboys under cutting you ... we sparks have it hard

get your self enrolled on a night courses if you can at your local college

That was another bone of contention I had to deal with personally.
Day release or nights?

If I take the nights, I can still work a full week and attend college 2-3 nights a week BUT what if I'm working away? What you going to do? Drive back and forth from the site 2-3 evenings a week?

If I take day release (luckily, my college offers Mon or Fri), ok I lose a days pay but IF I'm working away I know that I can finish Thurs night, drive home and be done for the week and attend college the following day (or go Monday then resume work on the Tues).

Again, down to personal preference I suppose or indeed knowing what's in the pipeline (workwise) for the following academic year. :)

Hi there guys just a quick recap of what i have done so far.

well from what people have been saying to start off with college seems to be the best way forward. so i have started calling my local colleges. the only problem i have fased with that right now has been that they are all say it 3 day a week and that they dont offer any night classes this is a big problem for me as i do need to work.

i have also done some e-mails and sent them round to local electricans yet to have any replys.

this look like they are heading back to doing home learning but im still not sure if this is the right way to go.

with what people are now saying trying to get a job on site. how do i go about doing that. i have no exprinces in that field of work i have done office work since i left college in 2000. and if i do get on some where will they alow me to go to college and that type of thing. i dont just want to end up as a labourer.

any one else with tips would be grate.

hay guys it looks like im not going to be able to do this course in college. at looking at my fianance i just wont be able to afford the days taken off work evey college i have checked do not do evening classes and it would mean have to take 3days off work.

so it back to home learning. and to the 1st question are they any good. wish me luck,

How many colleges have you actually checked with? 1?

Don't go home learning route. You've never even been on a building site you said (if I'm not mistaken).

Get on the phone, get online, get visiting firms and sites and ask if they need any labourers, explain your wanting to get on at college etc.

Another reason to get some on the job experience is, imagine shelling out X amount of pounds then discovering the course isn't for you. Your fuc*ed.

Help me plaese need some advise (College home learning.). {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
what course to do
any one that has seen my 1st therad will know im confused but have now found witch way to go.

I have managed to find a college that offers what i am looking for witch was a evening course. now i have been specking with learn direct and they have advised me that i need to do a C&G 2330 electrical installation 1st before any thing else.

now after looking at the college course im confused again on weather i need to be doing a Certificate in Electrotechnology Level 2 ( Buildings and Structures part time course or Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers short course.

I have also been told that for one of the course you need to e working in the field witch i am not. so i do neede the course that i can start and then find work in the field.

if any one out there has the time can you just have a quick look im sure for you guys it wont take long to work out witch one i need. links are below of course avable.

remember i have no exprence and am not working in the field.

short courses Engineering - courses

part time full
Engineering - courses

Help me plaese need some advise (College home learning.). {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
what course to do
any one that has seen my 1st therad will know im confused but have now found witch way to go.

I have managed to find a college that offers what i am looking for witch was a evening course. now i have been specking with learn direct and they have advised me that i need to do a C&G 2330 electrical installation 1st before any thing else.

now after looking at the college course im confused again on weather i need to be doing a Certificate in Electrotechnology Level 2 ( Buildings and Structures part time course or Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers short course.

I have also been told that for one of the course you need to e working in the field witch i am not. so i do neede the course that i can start and then find work in the field.

if any one out there has the time can you just have a quick look im sure for you guys it wont take long to work out witch one i need. links are below of course avable.

remember i have no exprence and am not working in the field.

short courses Engineering - courses

part time full
Engineering - courses

the level 2 short course is the one i teach. it is the EAL course, and is what people call the Part P (because, along with a regs qual it is the minimum requirement to join a domestic installer scheme i.a.w Part P of the building regs.)

We have lads go through into 2-3 weeks intensive (including the 17th edition and C&G 2392 Fundamental inspection & testing) and go straight into employment.

Its an option, but more expensive. BUT, the lads are doing it for 30 quid a week on finance, and are earning before they start paying back

Bane has some good advice as well (cant believe i said that:p) buts its horses for courses

I always ask what you want to do at the end of it.

if its a 'full electrician' commercial/industrial/domestic, then its the 2330.

If its just house basing/domestic then its the Level 2 EAL route.

OR, if you dont really know, do the EAl, get qualified, get working and earning, and if you wanna go commercial/industrial later, then do the 2330 later - whats the rush!

you pays your money, you takes your choice:rolleyes:

nice one bane, I like the new you, keep it up

as for asoe209, I don't think home learning is such a great thing. Think of it from an employers view, their gonna be looking at it two ways, wow this person is self motivated and clever to teach himself. Or god, how easy are these learning courses if u can pass them at home "can any one do them".

also its like trying to learn to drive, at home and then sitting ur test straight away IMHO.

also to point out the fact that one of home learning companies which have recently sold me a 2382 simulator, having some questions on it from the 16th which has been taken out of the 17th. Sent them an email and still no reply.... I'm waiting....

£5000 ??? That sounds extortionate !!!
I did my 3 years part time city and guilds course at college, which cost me about £380 per year. I studied for this while also working 2 jobs to make ends meet.
It was absolute hell doing this course and working 60 hours a week, but i got through it and passed with credits and distinctions.
What has proved more of a nightmare though is trying to find a job. I thought after completeing all that at my own expense and time, finding a job would be easy. How wrong could i be. All the jobs/companies i have applied with mostly require you to have 3years experience at least. Even electricians mates jobs i have seen advertised need you to have 1-2 years experience.
I have been actively looking for a year and a half now, and im beginning to lose hope.

Reply to Help me plaese need some advise (College home learning.). in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock