Discuss Help needed distribution board. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Awright504599

Hi. Well the problem is pretty difficult to describe (as always). Basically I just had a new isolation switch fitted and was told that I needed a new 100A fuse which enters the building fitting so I booked that but I don't think the 100A is anything to do with this issue.

Fast forward later in the day and were installing a new distribution board. The RCDs don't trip when I plug something into the sockets, so there seems to be no issue with them. The problem is that the sockets, although they have electricity passing through them, won't allow anything plugged into them work on any of the sockets. The only thing I can do to test them is a very black and white test which only shows no current or a current. I can also plug in a surge protected socket extension and get the small dim green light to work on that but anything else; nope.

I've wittled it down to:

Very low voltage for some reason??? Maybe the isolation switch or old 100A fuse which needs to be replaced is causing this?

So my options are A) Get an electrician B) Ask you guys for help C) Pour gasoline over everything and burn the house down.

Seriously though I'm writing this from a friends computer because my house is now in the year 200BC with the soonest time for an electrician Saturday so any help would be absolutely brilliant.

Thanks.

Did you install the consumer unit yourself??
Sounds to me like you need an electrician to have a look with the appropriate test equipment to find and rectify the fault.
Did it work before you changed the unit?

Is it just the sockets that dont work?
Are there any other sockets say in the garage or on the cooker point you can plug into as temp measure.
Looks like something has gone pete-tong , cannot be fixed from here really, you need option a (after all its an electricians forum :)

Did you install the consumer unit yourself??
Sounds to me like you need an electrician to have a look with the appropriate test equipment to find and rectify the fault.
Did it work before you changed the unit?

Self installation and yes there was a full circuit in before (a really old one) which worked. I can only reply tomorrow now thanks for the help anyway.

Reply to Help needed distribution board. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net