Discuss Help needed for amateur with no clue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This is probably going to be an easy answer but as the title states, I am new to this.

A simple problem but could anyone help tell me how to connect a new light to an old wiring circuit.

There are 3 cables and I know which one is the switch cable.

I have uploaded a couple of photos to show you what I’m dealig with.

Thanks in advance!

Help needed for amateur with no clue 62E45355-32AD-402C-AE37-7165090C9E61 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed for amateur with no clue 0B3A8B09-9431-4186-A770-707325CB5F5F - EletriciansForums.net

all the reds go into a terminal block or wago, separate from the connections to the fitting. the 2 black neutrals go to N and the black fron the switch wire into L. those cpc's ( earths)need tidying upinto a connector, then a fly lead to the light into E.

Earths to earth terminal on light, neutrals to neutral terminal on light, switch live to 'L' terminal on light, permanent lives in connector together

Thank goodness that cpc hasn't been used as 3rd conductor...:eek:

Thank goodness that cpc hasn't been used as 3rd conductor...:eek:
I had that yesterday with someone’s attempt at floodlighting with PIR. They’d used the yellow (permanent live not sleeved or marked) of the 3 core and earth and hooked it up to the earth for the light. The neutral and switch live being correct. I used my voltage indicator to show 236v through the neutral and casing of the halogen floodlight.
Glad it was out of reach. Both floods were wired the same! Few other horrors but that got the prize!

I had that yesterday with someone’s attempt at floodlighting with PIR. They’d used the yellow (permanent live not sleeved or marked) of the 3 core and earth and hooked it up to the earth for the light. The neutral and switch live being correct. I used my voltage indicator to show 236v through the neutral and casing of the halogen floodlight.
Glad it was out of reach. Both floods were wired the same! Few other horrors but that got the prize!

Yep...it's always a possibility...seen many a "helpful" previous electrical wizard,provide a second switched source,with a "spare" wire (that'll be that old cpc,then...) even met sparks who have left such a situation,with the addition of a bit of sleeve ...

Always worth remembering these little foibles,when seeing a wire on some random picture,and listing where they all go...

This is probably going to be an easy answer but as the title states, I am new to this.

Yeah just have a go and take the advice of a bunch of strangers on the internet, what’s the worst that could happen?

Well the worst that could happen is that you die in a particularly painful manner, but that’s worth the risk for the sake of saving the cost of an electricians time isn’t it?

Please stop putting people at risk by giving advice to unskilled peeps.

One piece of advice given on this thread, put all the the neutrals together all lives together, switched live etc....
How do you know that is the case in this instance. Yes normally that may be the case if it was wired correctly to begin , but it may not have been.

• Agree
Reactions: 123
I’m wondering what the 4th screw is for?
The one that is next to the star washer.

I’m wondering what the 4th screw is for?
The one that is next to the star washer.

Earth fly lead screw? Or it is the one you are always left with,after replacing the rear panel on a Samsung television,for the 3rd time...

Reply to Help needed for amateur with no clue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock