Discuss Help needed for double light switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just had my landlord replace a broken double light switch & I'm not that happy because the switches don't match in the off position.

The left switch shown in the image turns on my wall lights & that switch is out at the bottom when its off, the right way. However the right switch is my ceiling light & when its out at the bottom its on. I've included the wiring setup. But I wanted to ask how I can rewire the socket so both switches match when in the off position. Also just to note, the light switch is upside down as it was easier to take a picture this way.

You probably think it's not a big issue & not to worry about it. But I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like this & it's really doing my head in. So help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Help needed for double light switch 20210208_140343 - EletriciansForums.net

The easiest way is to swap the blue wire on the left switch to the unused terminal then fit the switch to the way that suits you, inverted from its original position. Is the right switch two way controlling the light from two switches.Those cables look like flexes and whoever replaced the switch did a pretty poor job. Is tha back box earthed with green/yellow wires.

The easiest way is to swap the blue wire on the left switch to the unused terminal then fit the switch to the way that suits you, inverted from its original position. Is the right switch two way controlling the light from two switches.Those cables look like flexes and whoever replaced the switch did a pretty poor job. Is tha back box earthed with green/yellow wires.
I have no unused terminals. I just dont know why there's a bridge across the top, it's not how my landing light is wired for up & down lights.

I've just had my landlord replace a broken double light switch & I'm not that happy because the switches don't match in the off position.

The left switch shown in the image turns on my wall lights & that switch is out at the bottom when its off, the right way. However the right switch is my ceiling light & when its out at the bottom its on. I've included the wiring setup. But I wanted to ask how I can rewire the socket so both switches match when in the off position. Also just to note, the light switch is upside down as it was easier to take a picture this way.

You probably think it's not a big issue & not to worry about it. But I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like this & it's really doing my head in. So help would be appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 64586
One switch looks like a 2 way so you will not get the same on /off position all the time, secondly and more important the connections are to put it bluntly dog rough, I would get the landlord to employ an Electrician to do the job properly, not as I suspect some handy person from down the pub, terrible workmanship, why have you interfered with the switch anyway?

Put the blue at the left switch into way 2 terminal, the one with no wire in it then turn the switch over to refit. I would reconnect them all those connections are dire and is the back box earthed.

if the right switch is 2 way, switching the other 2 way switch will make it work the opposite way.

We don't half get some. It's scary.
Someone's been messing. I wouldn't trust any of those terminations.

I have no unused terminals. I just dont know why there's a bridge across the top, it's not how my landing light is wired for up & down lights.

The two brown cables together are most likely your light feed, it bridges over the supply to the other switch.

Like others said, move the blue cable from L1 to L2 in L switch and that should sort it.

Ps is this back box earthed or are there any earth cables behind that switch?

The two brown cables together are most likely your light feed, it bridges over the supply to the other switch.

Like others said, move the blue cable from L1 to L2 in L switch and that should sort it.

Ps is this back box earthed or are there any earth cables behind that switch?
Hi, ty I moved blue over to the other port & it works great. I have also cleaned up the wire ends so there's no exposed copper wire.

Also yes its earthed to the metal case.

I thought it was just the case of moving the blue wire & turn the switch round, but I wanted to double check to make sure.

One last thing. Is flex cable safe to use in this way? I know it should be the 1.6mm calling for the lights. But the odd thing is, the wire that comes out of my walls for wall lights & the ceiling is the correct grey 1.6mm wire.

Thanks again :0)

obviously somebodger had joind it somewyere.

Hi, ty I moved blue over to the other port & it works great. I have also cleaned up the wire ends so there's no exposed copper wire.

Also yes its earthed to the metal case.

I thought it was just the case of moving the blue wire & turn the switch round, but I wanted to double check to make sure.

One last thing. Is flex cable safe to use in this way? I know it should be the 1.6mm calling for the lights. But the odd thing is, the wire that comes out of my walls for wall lights & the ceiling is the correct grey 1.6mm wire.

Thanks again :0)

The cable used normally when wiring up lights is a 1.5mm/1mm flat sheathed cable.

It’s hard to say if is safe without inspecting it properly. Is every switch wired with this flex? Would need to look in the board and do some testing.

Hi,your first point of call,is your landlord and not a forum. I trust you will be as open and descriptive,in your explanation to the landlord or his spark....

Reply to Help needed for double light switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock