Discuss Help needed - it's probably been answered before - run out of ways on consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ricardo123

Could do with a few idea's here, normally do new installs so don't come across this problem much.

I need to add a 16a MCB to a board that has no spare ways. It has 2 lighting, 2 sockets, and central heating circuits(5 way fuseboard). The fuseboard is in a busy office area. What are my options apart from changing the fuseboard to a 6 way or more!?

(If I do change the fuseboard that will I assume mean I will have to issue an Electrical Installation Certificate!?)

Re: Help needed - it's probably been answered before - run out of ways on consumer un

Add a Henley block and an additional Consumer unit would work.

Re: Help needed - it's probably been answered before - run out of ways on consumer un

Well as your adding a circuit I assume, why other wise would you need to fit a new MCB, then yes you need to do an EIC for that new circuit.

How is the 5 way board fed? Is there any way you can fit a small enclosure with the new MCB in it fed from the distribution circuit supply the 5 way board?

5 way seems if you pardon the term an odd number for a DB, is any of the existing protection devices double pole?

I have found 5 way boards quite useful due to their reduced width, as long as you use RCBOs.

:rolleyes:
You are installing a 16amp circuit?
Install a small 2 way cu with main switch next to existing DB, remove a circuit (lighting would be my choice) from existing DB, Run a length of 6 / 10 or 16mm from existing DB using the now free spare way that was the lights, fuse at 32amp & this is the your supply to new DB where you can now reconnect the lighting & your new 16amp circuit..

No matter what method you use you'll be installing new circuits so EIC will be required........as a side note I'd use rcbo's on the two way cu.

What's on this 16a circuit? .... Just being nosey :eek:

Thanks for all your replies, might use your idea not clever, sounds good to me. The 16A is for a 10A rotary isolator. As the 2 way db will be right next to the consumer unit I'll probably use a 32A MCB with some 6mm cable to power it. The 10A rotary isolator is for air conditioning unit.

Thanks everyone, its been a hectic day and all your replies have cheered me up.

Reply to Help needed - it's probably been answered before - run out of ways on consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net