Discuss Help needed please...DIY forum not working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paul F

Hi everyone.
First time on here so be gentle with me eh....
I have just put 4 Aurora M7 dimmable downlighters in my bathroom along with a heated panel mirror.
Everything seemed & was working well. That was yesterday....Today when the lights are on, if I use the sensor on the mirror to turn the mirror light on or switch the shower fan isolator/fan on/off the downlighters cut out for a second then come back on. It`s as if a draw of current on the circuit is knocking them out.
The timed shower fan runs via the light switch & the downlighters are wired in series, the mirror is spurred from the lighting ring main
Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Paul

i would hope that the downlights are in parallel! your problem might be the dimmer and/or the LED drivers' electronics reacting to the switching of the fan/mirror.etc.

Dimmer, LED's, parallel & mirror. Hum....

Thanks for your help.
I have spoken with Aurora this morning, they tell me that the loading/unloading of energy on the circuit is the problem.....& that it may shorten the life of the lights if it continues...Any further help would be great.
regards
paul

maybe put the mirror and fan onto a different circuit. perhaps from the RFC, suitably fused down with a FCU and clearly labelled.

maybe put the mirror and fan onto a different circuit. perhaps from the RFC, suitably fused down with a FCU and clearly labelled.

I was wondering about a dodgy connection, not seen this on any of my installs

I was wondering about a dodgy connection, not seen this on any of my installs

quite possible. i'm thinking switching spikes also.

Ok, thanks,
im not an electrician as you can guess....Ive checked the terminals in the junction box & they are tight.
the install was done by an electrician with a engineering background so commercial rather than domestic.
To reiterate, the wires have been connected up as follows.
The wire from the junction box goes to the first fastfix connector, then loops out from there to the next one & so on. the final one does not return to anything. the fan for the shower also takes it`s power from there also.
sorry for the amateur explanation, I feel like a tiddler swimming in a pool of larger fish

Ok, thanks,
im not an electrician as you can guess....Ive checked the terminals in the junction box & they are tight.
the install was done by an electrician with a engineering background so commercial rather than domestic.
To reiterate, the wires have been connected up as follows.
The wire from the junction box goes to the first fastfix connector, then loops out from there to the next one & so on. the final one does not return to anything. the fan for the shower also takes it`s power from there also.
sorry for the amateur explanation, I feel like a tiddler swimming in a pool of larger fish

Which one is that?

Your amateur explanation would put many of the so called sparks on here to shame!

hope it's not screw-its.

so....without calling in a sparks, where do I go from here?????
Should I disconnect each light in turn & try loading the system adding a light as I go, could I disconnect the dimmer switch & join the wires together to eliminate a possible faullty switch or replace the switch with a non dimmable one or......is it time to call in the guy`s who will know wtf is going on.
Thanks for you continued help though

Reply to Help needed please...DIY forum not working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock