Discuss Help needed please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DIYdan

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, new here and seeking help.

I am only a DIY dad so excuse me if I dont know technical terms.

I'm in process of changing lights in kitchen, we have two. The first went fine just the live, neutral and earth, which is what I'm used to. The second however appears to be a loop for the double switch we have and as I took the last light away, the wires came free so I cannot tell how to connect the new fitting.

I've tried and tried but to no avail, the setup in the photo is where I'm at, this allows the second light in the kitchen to come on but the switch for this one does nothing.

At one point the switch for this light made both lights come on but flickering.

Anybody able to tell me which wires to move around and to where (from the picture) in order to get this working.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Help needed please 15698544906533194503027102773455 - EletriciansForums.net

first, is this light 2 way, as in 2 switches. second, those earth wires need sleeving.

and really, a local spark should be able to help. just a 1 hour call-out charge about £40

Thanks for your reply, it's a double light switch in the kitchen. I thought it odd that the earths were bare, I'll see if I can find some sleeve for them, but it worked like this previously so would that be stopping it from working now?

the bare earth wires are nothing to do with the light working. as it's 2 way switched, you need to ID which colour wire does what. as i said. best call a local spark. he/she will have the gear to test and fix safely.
[automerge]1569856397[/automerge]
being in Essex, you may have to wait for more helpful responses, 4pm to 8pm is prime time for fake tans.

Last edited:
£40 call-out

Might want to double that and add a tenner
Yeah be a 1er for callout for sure. I found a good YouTube video using wago connectors. I'll pick some up tomorrow and try again, it must only be like one wire misplaced as the feed through to the second kitchen light is working fine. Putting wago connectors in will modernise the wiring anyhow and make it easier to change the fitting in future aswell. I just hope it bloody works lol or then it's the dreaded callout

Still want to see. I take it one switch does one light the other switch t'other and it is not two way switched from somewhere else.
That is correct, I know the woring at the actual double switch is correct as until the old fitting came down this morning, they have been working in harmony for over 12 years lol. The problem lies somewhere in the wiring on the picture I provided. Does that picture look right to you? The second light as I mentioned comes on via its switch, just not the other so part of the circuit must be correct. Or if all the wiring is done correctly it may be a bad connection, the doubled wires are crammed into little choc boxes. That's where I'm hoping the wagos will help

Take the red and yellow out of the connector and join through. Leave the blue in live and put both blacks in neutral. If switches are working opposite to before transpose blue and yellow in switch. Power off and sleeve the earths
[automerge]1569865974[/automerge]

Take the red and yellow out of the connector and join through. Leave the blue in live and put both blacks in neutral. If switches are working opposite to before transpose blue and yellow in switch. Power off and sleeve the earths
[automerge]1569865974[/automerge]
So basically place the blue and yellow wire together where the blacks are and place the blacks into the yellows old position? If the switches are reversed what do you mean by transpose the blue and yellow wires. Sorry ?

As above. .
That's great I will try that tomorrow when I have daylight. The only thing I need clarifying is if the switches are reversed. I'm not clear on what to do then to get them to work as they always have. It's great to have found such a helpful forum, really appreciate all the help

That helps thanks.
I tried taking from both angles, hope that's good enough for you to make out. It's the right hand switch that wont come on, the left hand switches light is working. Thanks for your help

View attachment 52749 View attachment 52750

Does one switch turn on one light and the other turn on the other?
Basically you do not turn both lights on with one switch?

That helps thanks.

Does one switch turn on one light and the other turn on the other?
Basically you do not turn both lights on with one switch?
Yeah its a double switch, one for each light in the kitchen, the switch either allows their solo use or both at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help needed please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock