Discuss Help needed re Megger 1553 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JamesBrownLive

I have recently purchased a Megger 1553, but am struggling with the user manual....

The section of the meter that has two settings and is coloured orange is used to test continuity, that much I understand. What I am having difficulty with is the fact it has two settings.... I'm not sure which one should be selected for what??

The video demonstration shows a continuity test being done whilst the dial is set to the 1st of the 2 settings, the Ohm symbol. BUT, in the manual the section about continuity testing, has the second symbol next to it??
My gut feeling, from what I have read, is that this second setting is just to control the level of the continuity buzzer. Is this correct, or does it have some other function that I have completely mis-understood/overlooked?

I must admit, considering the unit's price, I was expecting some better documentation.

Thanks in advance

I believe one setting is for a low ohms continuity reading while the other is a continuity 'buzzer' the threshhold of which is user definable.

I have recently purchased a Megger 1553, but am struggling with the user manual....

The section of the meter that has two settings and is coloured orange is used to test continuity, that much I understand. What I am having difficulty with is the fact it has two settings.... I'm not sure which one should be selected for what??

The video demonstration shows a continuity test being done whilst the dial is set to the 1st of the 2 settings, the Ohm symbol. BUT, in the manual the section about continuity testing, has the second symbol next to it??
My gut feeling, from what I have read, is that this second setting is just to control the level of the continuity buzzer. Is this correct, or does it have some other function that I have completely mis-understood/overlooked?

I must admit, considering the unit's price, I was expecting some better documentation.

Thanks in advance

Hi JamesBrownLive

The first orange section on the MFT1500 Series is for continuity readings (R1+R2) whereas the second section is ideal for proving continuity, i.e. ringing through multicore cables or phone lines. The threshold can be ranged from 2 ohms to 100 ohms in 6 increments to allow for cable resistance.

Kind Regards

Megger Technical Support

Hi JamesBrownLive

The first orange section on the MFT1500 Series is for continuity readings (R1+R2) whereas the second section is ideal for proving continuity, i.e. ringing through multicore cables or phone lines. The threshold can be ranged from 2 ohms to 100 ohms in 6 increments to allow for cable resistance.

Kind Regards

Megger Technical Support

Is it true that you guys at Megger have a rechargable battery pack now for the 1500 series of MFTs?

Is it true that you guys at Megger have a rechargable battery pack now for the 1500 series of MFTs?

Hi Amp David

Unfortunately it is not true that Megger have a rechargable battery for the MFT1500 Series.
It is quite possible that future Megger products may be designed to run with rechargable battery packs as this is has found to be a popular request by customers.

Kind Regards

Megger Technical Support

Thanks in advance
use the first setting dont forget to null the leads

There should be a summary card "manual" also supplied in the kit - look through that as it goes through all the key uses/settings.

There should be a summary card "manual" also supplied in the kit - look through that as it goes through all the key uses/settings.

I had looked at the summary card before I had printed out the main manual, but since then, I must admit, it has just been placed back in the case.

Having just looked at it again, it would seem that the 'Summary' is much better.

For example, this whole thread was started because I was confused that in the main manual the setting symbol used next to the section on continuity testing was the 'buzzer' symbol, but on the summary card it is the 'ohm' symbol. So in this case the summary card gives out the correct setting, but the manual doesn't.

However, in my defence, I cannot be alone in thinking that the full manual should not be playing second fiddle to a summary card.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer. The summary card is now my first point of call.

Cheers

Reply to Help needed re Megger 1553 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock