Discuss help needed ring main fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

714gold714

hello there your expertise please :D

Basically recieved a job from a client that rents out propertys the client has had the council complete a EICR and they have found x2 ring mains have the following faults:

circuit 1:no continuity lives (readings-RN=1.33)
circuit 2: no continuity neutral (readings-R1= 1.28)

the fuseboard also needs to be replaced but i have told the customer before we change the board for new 17th edition consumer unit we need to correct these faults i was just wondering what you would do?

1) try find fault hourly rate take all socket fronts off and inter connect cables at board and test each socket until find break
2) change mcb in 16a and turn into radials

or recommend rewire sockets please note he doesnt want to spend alot (useual story) as hes just renting the place out

PS insulation ressistance readings are fine

thanks very much

It may be something simple that you can find easily,if it was my job I would spend a couple of hours on point to point tracing and take it from there.If you go down the rewire route from the outset he may think you,re trying it on and take the work somewhere else.

That could be crossed wiring. The R1 and RN readings are pretty close and the other 2 could be radials. Disconnect all 4 cables and check continuty then

Hope this helps

thanks mate thats what i though, i know these faults can sometimes be a night mare to find especially if theres any jbs hidden.

thanks for advice

or recommend rewire sockets please note he doesnt want to spend alot (useual story) as hes just renting the place out

Landlords p*** me off, they never want to spend a lot, but they want to charge top rents to tenants. Point him in the direction of the "Landlords and Tenants act". He has a duty of care, not to mention a legal obligation, to provide his tenants with a safe and serviceable electrical installation amongst other things. And you fixing it and upgrading his CU will ensure he complies with this, it costs what it costs, he will soon recoup the costs in rent, and it will be a whole lot cheaper than any day out in court he may have if he gets it wrong.

Cheers..........Howard

very fast in writing replys today on this forum :D

thank you all for advice

Howard you are correct most landlords are very tight and always want the famous how much for cash jobs doing

The sad thing is theres so many people who would be willing to take this job on for peanuts and not a care in the world for peoples electrical safety. People just dont seem to like spending alot on electrics

I found one a few weeks back, broken RFCs IR readings terrible, faults all over the place, Ra of 1360 ohms and a CU that had seen far better days. A 3 storey house and the tenant had 2 kids toddling about. I told him he needed to rewire, when I gave him the price he nearly choked complaining that he didn't want to spend too much money because he was trying to sell the place so could I get the CU changed which I refused to do. Turns out he got someone to throw in a £50 B&Q special for £100.
I'd be very surprised if he got any paperwork, luckily I kept the EDN so my bottom is well covered

How can you turn 2 rings into 4 radials if you can't locate the breaks?

I'd be looking for the breaks before considering anything else.

Reply to help needed ring main fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock