Discuss Help needed with wiring a new ceiling light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marc9

Hello, I was hoping some of can help me with wiring my new ceiling light. I know there is a separate line for a switch but I can't figure out which one (I though it's the one with green/yellow sleeve on the earth). I'm adding two pics - one of the wires in the switch and one of the ceiling.

Upload the image directly to the thread: the simple image sharer

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

You need a sparky not information that wiring is out of order and needs proper seeing to. I could give you the information you require but by doing that you would fit your light and leave the rest so sorry count me out.

agree. needs a sparks to sort that mess. you might get lucky and get it working, but leave a potential death trap. not far from me. can sort for a reasonable call-out fee.

Hello, I was hoping some of can help me with wiring my new ceiling light. I know there is a separate line for a switch but I can't figure out which one (I though it's the one with green/yellow sleeve on the earth). I'm adding two pics - one of the wires in the switch and one of the ceiling.

Gasp!!!

Presuming you are correct about the switch wire, 1st you should swap the red and black wires at the light. All reds go together and the black switch wire goes to the lights' live wire ( brown ). This black should also be flagged with a bit of red/brown sleeve or tape to identify it as a live wire. From here the light will work or the fuse will blow, if it's the latter then you have the wrong switch line.

ah, the old switch it on and see if it goes bang test. enter bob the builder.

Presuming you are correct about the switch wire, 1st you should swap the red and black wires at the light. All reds go together and the black switch wire goes to the lights' live wire ( brown ). This black should also be flagged with a bit of red/brown sleeve or tape to identify it as a live wire. From here the light will work or the fuse will blow, if it's the latter then you have the wrong switch line.
Trial and error is hardly good advice mate.

Unbelievable. First time poster handing out instructions to a DIYer.

This forum is for the hard working sparky - not handing out free information you muppet.

To those of you who have passed comment on my post, the idea of a forum is to help those who ask for it. If you read the original post and look at marc9s pics then my post is accurate as can be. I do not advocate anyone playing with electrics as you all seem to suggest, so unless you have solid advise to give instead of trying to get a ''small fee'', perhaps you should find something better to fill your time. In 30+ yrs in the trade, nothing has burned down and no-one has died. Lighting circuits are taught in year 1 and I would expect that marc9 at least has that level of knowledge. If not, then ''yes'' get a local spark to help but not one from this site!!

To those of you who have passed comment on my post, the idea of a forum is to help those who ask for it. If you read the original post and look at marc9s pics then my post is accurate as can be. I do not advocate anyone playing with electrics as you all seem to suggest, so unless you have solid advise to give instead of trying to get a ''small fee'', perhaps you should find something better to fill your time. In 30+ yrs in the trade, nothing has burned down and no-one has died. Lighting circuits are taught in year 1 and I would expect that marc9 at least has that level of knowledge. If not, then ''yes'' get a local spark to help but not one from this site!!

NOT when its a DIYer - this is the Electricians forum - for sparkys.

On your second point, what makes you say this then?

Thanks! Only two members here tried to help, others just tried to troll (I've chosen the wrong forum, I know that now).
I've tried it earlier, even after identifying switch wire properly and connecting it the way you've described it doesn't work

part of your advice was correct, but without even suggesting using a multimeter to ID the switch line, it's poor advice to say " try it and see if it works or if the fuse blows". he had the best advice going from myself and others to employ a qualified sparks to do a job which is clearly beyond his knowledge. ( no disrespect to marc9 meant ).

Looking at the picture he supplied and the information he wanted it was obvious all he wanted was for his light to work ! If you think that is all an electricians job is then shame on you ! There are safety issues here like unsheathed earths and poorly connected wires how would anyone feel if is next post was to say his child had come in and been killed by touching a live switch ! I advised getting a spark to sort it strictly for safety reasons and from what I can see it would be a £20 charge for a local guy a very small price for piece of mind I would have thought but to give advice of suck it and see well I would not employ someone with that type of attitude ! all I can say is that kind of advice can only come from some kind of eeorr And looks like a donkey it's better to give no advise than bad advice !!

Reply to Help needed with wiring a new ceiling light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net