Discuss Help ! New light fitting wont switch off ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matj74

DIY
Reaction score
Hi just fitted a 2nd hand light fitting to an older light I removed , now the wires a from the ceiling are 3 red 1 black and earth wire . I connected the 3 red wires together to one wire of the light fitting and the black one to the other and the earths together, now unfortunately the wires on the light fitting appears to be the same to add to my confusion! , when switched the electric back on the light came on but wudnt switch off ?? Hope this makes any sense to anyone and any advice would be welcome thanks mat .

Attachments

• 20191223_163342.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191223_163512.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 25
Your not the first this week with the same problem.
Same advice. Take a photo of the connections before you take old fitting down.

Most likely you have the red/black is the mains feed. The red/red is the drop down to the switch.

Link a red of each cable together, but not to the fitting, using a good connector. This is the live. No bare copper showing outside the connector.
Connect the remaining red to L of the fitting, and the black to N
All the earths go together and are connected to the metal base of the fitting if need be.

Your not the first this week with the same problem.
Same advice. Take a photo of the connections before you take old fitting down.

Most likely you have the red/black is the mains feed. The red/red is the drop down to the switch.

Link a red of each cable together, but not to the fitting, using a good connector. This is the live. No bare copper showing outside the connector.
Connect the remaining red to L of the fitting, and the black to N
All the earths go together and are connected to the metal base of the fitting if need be.

And if the light still stays on......

.....you've got the wrong red in the light fitting. ?

Reply to Help ! New light fitting wont switch off ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net