Discuss Help no ground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dfilo456

DIY
Reaction score
I have a Square D 70 amp sub panel in the basement with no ground wire from the main panel. The HVAC contractors hooked up to 20 amp single pole Circuit breakers with putting the ground wires on the neutral bus do I need a separate ground bar in the case. Also how do I fix this can I ground to a water main line that’s grounded

I have a Square D 70 amp sub panel in the basement with no ground wire from the main panel. The HVAC contractors hooked up to 20 amp single pole Circuit breakers with putting the ground wires on the neutral bus do I need a separate ground bar in the case. Also how do I fix this can I ground to a water main line that’s grounded
Yes you need a ground wire from your main panel and on a sub fed panel never hook ground wires to the neutral bar. That’s is only allowed in the main panel. You need to go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy a ground bar and install it in your sub panel, plus pull a # 6 wire from the main to the sub panel for your equipment ground

So the back story we had electric furnace and we have gas know and have 4 of these boxes. I was thinking about just eliminating one of the boxes and make those ground wires can I just put green tape on the wires and hook them to the ground bar in the main cabinet. Getting a New line Run would be very costly.

Reply to Help no ground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have breaker box at least 40 yrs old, both conduit and romex enter box, only one neutral bar that all white wires and bare ground wires attach...
Replies
Views
I have a main panel beside my meter on the house built in 1987. Then a 4 wire feed into a 200 amp panel on an inside wall of my basement. All of...
Replies
Views
At long last my wife is getting her new kitchen and the contractor will be running 10 or so new circuits from a new sub panel. The sub panel...
Replies
Views
I'm starting a new construction single-family residence, I know with the 2020 NEC they require an emergency disconnect on the exterior of the...
Replies
Views
I am wiring a 3 prong 220 plug in a feeder panel with 12/2 wire. Should I hook the ground wire to the ground bus or to the neutral bus? The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock