Discuss Help on fire proofing.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electro

Hi

Just wanted to know a bit more on fire proofing when you are installing. what are you fire proofing and under what circumstances are you installing protection, ie fans, cables to outside. Looking on the Internet not finding much and there's not much in the BRB.
Any application, flats, houses and commercials.

Regards

Hi.

The kind of stuff we do is obviously the fire hoods for recessed light fittings between floors. Also any holes we make between floors and from inside to out are sealed with intumescent filler/fire rated expanding foam.

Agreed.

However, you may need to order sufficient quantities of expanding foam as the stairwell opening takes a considerable amount.

:D

Help on fire proofing.. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

electro i see what you mean about limited infoin th brb. In guidance note 1 selection and erection it says that the specifications for fire stopping should be detailed by the project architect or desighner for all services. and should conform to the building regs.
In the handbook thers a bit more info but to much for me to type see page 186 may help point you in the direction you need.

Last edited:
Nice one Lenny, Scot yea the BRB says put back what you take out in a nut shell. some of the other stuff i would like to know when should you fire proof socket outlets in what situations, what size trunking need fire stopping, risers in buildings, three storey building etc. I see they do intumescent conduit now why?.

Thanks for your help so far

I know sorry, couldnt resist:D

As for running cables in risers, i think you will find this no longer allowed in the 17th purely for this reason.

Not got regs with me at the mo, so i cant check, but then having said that, im not overly sure where you would find this.

I just seem to remember between naps on the update course, there was mention of this.

This is the canadian take on things,not BS but objectives are [FONT=&quot]the same
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All penetrations of a fire separation must be sealed by an approved sealant that has a fire-resistance rating of not less then the fire partition.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Electrical wires and cables that are totally enclosed in a non-combustible raceway may penetrate the fire separation. AC90 metallic armored cable is a good selection in this case. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Electrical wires and cables, or group of wires or cables, of at least FT4 rating may penetrate the fire separation providing the diameter of the wire, cable or groups of wire or cable is not more then 25 mm in diameter. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Single-conductor metal sheathed cables with combustible jacketing of larger then 25 mm may penetrate the fire separation providing the cables are not grouped.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Combustible outlet boxes are permitted in a fire separation as long the opening in the fire separation is less then is no larger then 0.016 m2. Back to back outlet boxes, on either side of a fire separation are not permitted and must be offset to ensure the integrity of the fire separation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part 9 Buildings: (see complete text of the NBC for all rules).[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]All penetrations of a fire separation must be sealed by an approved sealant that has a fire-resistance rating of not less then the fire partition.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Electrical wires and cables that are totally enclosed in a non-combustible raceway may penetrate the fire separation. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Electrical wires and cables, or group of wires or cables, with combustible jacketing, having a rating of at least FT1, may penetrate the fire separation providing the diameter of the wire, cable or groups of wire or cable is not more then 25 mm in diameter. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Combustible outlet boxes are permitted in a fire separation as long the opening in the fire separation is less then 160 cm2 in size.[/FONT]

Reply to Help on fire proofing.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock