Discuss Help ...Part L requirements and NAPIT inspector in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piggyitm

Hi,pulling hair out here I hope someone can clear this up for me as I have the inspector coming from NAPIT to visit the install. To put it short, Existing building,existing extension,Extension had a fire,I rewire new feeds back to the board.Install 11 fire rated downlights 2 outside lights,1 floodlight 1 canterbury light in existing positions.I haven't allowed for Part L requirements as none are SGU10 lights.Am I going to get pulled up on this by the Inspector? I have had no experience with NAPIT so I' not sure what kind of things he will be looking for.Can I still expect to pass or shall I go and spend £100 on lights my self as i advised the customer what to get?

Any help ??? cheers

I would have thought (and my thoughts are a bit strange sometimes!) that you are replacing like for like and that part L would only apply if the extension was new or if it had an existing energy saving light fitted. If there were no energy savers fitted originally then you shouldn't have to fit them now.
That said i'm not with napit i'm with elecsa and elecsa have a technical helpline that i can ring with quieries, do you have a helpline with napit? if so, ring them before the visit and get their opinion (make a note of who you speak to just in case the site assessor has a different idea) that way you are covered. good luck

Cheers for that one 69er!!!!Minds at bit more at rest as I thought there was a reg saying that the installation should be left in no worse a condition than found.As in socket hights matching the existing hights rather than putting 1 odd one in at the new hight.I will be ringing NAPIT up in the morning to check.I'll post what they tell me.Nice one m8:)

Page 133 of The Guide to Building Regulations seems to cover it. (The section is about Part L1A & L1B)

it Says.........

10.6.1 Fixed internal lighting
In new buildings and for extensions and rewires, in areas affected by the work, the minimum number of fixed energy efficient light fittings must be either;

a. one per 25m/2 of floor area (excluding garages) or
b. one energy efficient light fitting per 4 fixed light fittings.

Light fittings in low use areas (cupboards etc) don't count towards meeting requirements.

Rgds,

Will

Cheers Will.That was also what I had read.But I had also read the NICEIC guide to installing a CU to an installation with out a CPC in the lighting circuit!Basicaly there is no obligation to upgrade.My case is that I haven't done it,I knew about it, but at the time of installation I thought this is 1 room in a 3 storey 6 bedroom house that needs a full rewire anyway and the owner is in the process of selling the property and won't spend unnecessary.My biggest mistake was thinking I could put some low energy GU10's in rather than SGU10.My real concern is the NAPIT inspectors take on it all,whether to or not, charge me for a revisit!:eek:

I rang NAPIT this morning and spoke to a "field officer".He said if the inspector notices he might require me to put up some new fittings anywhere in the house.He never said if I wouldn't be accepted untill I had tho.He was quite abrupt.Hope this inspector is nothing like NICEICs Tony Harrison for yorkshire!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help ...Part L requirements and NAPIT inspector in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net