Discuss Help please,advice regarding the way electric shower has been wired and left in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

noobienoclue

Hi people, as title says, my local council has been installing new kitchens and bathrooms, all electrical cable was fitted at the start of the build (4 weeks ago) The plumber put shower on the wall last week, next morning electrician came to my door saying " you've got a problem with your shower, the cables in the wrong place" This was news to me as nothing was mentioned by the plumber. Electrician came in had a look and said he wasn't fixing it as it wasn't him that done it (thanks, why bother coming to my door then) So anyway after a number of phone calls and days later 2 electricians appear at the door yesterday, after all of 10 minutes leave saying "that's you shower on" this is how they've left it ( im trying to upload photo, but cant seem to) Can someone please tell me if this is correct and acceptable, I've looked at the instruction manual and it shows the wire coming in from behind the shower, not coming in from the left hand side of it, Also it says the shower head should be positioned so that it discharges down the centre line of the bath, it's been fitted to the right hand side of the bath. Now I don't know much about electrics but im always eager to learn, if you look at the pic, what the electrician has done is because the cable was to short, where you see the cable in the photo, he's cut it there and added 3 wires to it,then the 3 wires go to the terminal in the shower.Would I be right in saying "this is a bodge job and really the whole thing needs redone,shower removed and new cable put in the right place,then retiled? thanks for any replies 2013-05-24 09.25.15.jpg2013-05-24 09.25.06.jpg2013-05-24 09.24.52.jpg 2013-05-24 09.25.15-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the plumber decided where to fix the shower i.e on the end of existing plumbing. ( I'm guessing though). I'm pretty sure if the electricians had been fist in, possibly the hole in the wall would of been covered with the new fitting. It would of been better if the exact same model was used to replace faulty one.....if still available.

there wasn't a shower there, this is all new, the electricians where in first putting new sockets in kitchen putting cable for shower, then tiler came in, then plumber came and put the shower on wall, this is where its at now

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad first fixing then, by one or both trades. Was the shower on site when first fixing carried out? If so it could of been used a template to get the services into the correct positions.

i had exactly the same done on me. cable installed, shower position marked on wall, then along comes mr. wet-fart and plumbs the shower 12" lower.

Bad first fixing then, by one or both trades. Was the shower on site when first fixing carried out? If so it could of been used a template to get the services into the correct positions.

As far as I know both trades where given all measurements before any work started, on the first day of the build I had 2 electricians in as all the sockets in kitchen got moved to new places, they done a bodge job in the kitchen as well, they channelled all the wire and used back boxes for new sockets on 3 walls, but because they where in such a hurry to get out the door, on the 4th wall they didn't bother channelling the wire it was just surfaced mounted with a bit trunking and then 2 surface mounted sockets this was for my cooker, now because they used surface mounted sockets this left my cooker sticking out further than the worktop not to mention the 3-4 inch gap from the wall to the back of cooker, on the second day plumber was in,took old bathroom suite out and put new one in, next day joiners where in to fit new kitchen units, 1 week later painter and decorator arrived done what he had to do, then tiler came in put tiles in kitchen and bathroom, couple of days after that the same plumber came back to fit the shower to the wall and plumb in, the following morning an electrician came to my door saying that I had a problem with the shower and that the cable had been put in the wrong place,this was news to me as plumber never mentioned anything to me,anyway electrician took one look at it and said it wasn't him that done it so he wasn't fixing it and left, exactly 1 week later (yesterday) the 2 electricians that done the work to start with arrive to fix it, 10 minutes later they leave saying "there's your shower on" the cable you see in the pics was to short to come in through the service tunnel and to the terminal in the shower, so they cut it where you see it in the pics and added 3 separate wires onto the cable then to the terminal, personally I think the whole lot needs redone but im not an electrician nor a plumber, this is why im on here for advice to see if this has been done properly and if its acceptable? After all this is the council that's carrying out the work and they like nothing better than cutting corners to save pennys, they've been installing these kitchens and bathrooms for at least 8 years, surely they shouldn't be making mistakes like this, also is the shower head not meant to be inline with the centre of the bath? that's what it says in the user manual

I'd love to read oldtimer's (a very good Edinburgh electrician!) appraisal of the work done in your flat, it sounds appalling, sympathies noobienoclue! :-(

I'd love to read oldtimer's (a very good Edinburgh electrician!) appraisal of the work done in your flat, it sounds appalling, sympathies noobienoclue! :-(
thank you very much, that's really appreciated, its just been one thing after another with them, it gets better, 2 weeks ago today I had to get the gas engineer up as the boiler had lost pressure and wasn't working, I noticed the pressure going down over a couple of days after a radiator was removed from kitchen, gas engineer lifted a floorboard up,noticed there was a leak and was trying to say it was coming from my living room, he also said he didn't have time to fix it and that he would show me how to top the pressure up on boiler, and if I have to keep topping it up over the weekend to phone up again on the Monday, so obviously I had to do this over weekend, phoned repairs direct on the Monday morning, they sent a plumber out who found the leak, IN THE KITCHEN, a nail from a floorboard had hit a pipe! It was just luck that my neighbour under me never got flooded, its absolutely terrible, this is EDINBURGH CITY COUNCIL AT ITS BEST

Reply to Help please,advice regarding the way electric shower has been wired and left in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net