Discuss Help please - finished level 2 2330 , should i do level 3? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
Hi, i am just finishing up my Level 2 2330 and most of the boys in my class are not doing the level 3. They reckon you dont really need it? I was going to do it but am now thinking otherwise.

I am not working in the industry as of yet because i am finding it hard to get a job without experience and my uncle who worked for T.CLARKE who was gonna get me on there has been made redundant.:mad:

My teacher has suggested i get my 17th edition and try and get a job in the industry before starting my level 3. Personally i would rather just get it out the way.

Im at a bit of a crossroads and not completely sure what to do now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi 1985,

The best advice I can give you is to be wary of what other people think you should be doing. You have to decide what you want to do and how you are going to get there. You know your own situation more than anyone here can picture but to try and help you...

If you have chance to get further qualifications and have the time / money then my advice is get them! Experience does count and obviously this is very important in the electrical industry, however the qualifications do matter. As far as I am aware the level 2 of the 2330 means you are qualified as a 'Domestic Installer'. So if that is what you wish to stick at then I guess that is fine, however the more qualified you are the more doors will open up for you. (At least this is what I have been told numerous times). I think its wise to get the 17th edition. Be careful because when you do work in the electrical game, it is when it goes wrong that qualifications are brought up and the electricity at work regs assume guilt so require proof of innocence / competance. (This equals qualifications and compliance with BS7671 regs).

I think the guys on this forum are very experienced and hopefully they will help / add to this.

I hope this is of help,

Best wishes,

Rex

cheers mate, to be a domestic installer you have to be part p as far as im aware. I mean i want to do level 3 because its a good thing to have but if i can get a job with level 2 2330 and 17th then i think i would be interested in that because i just badly wanna get into the industry now and start earning a decent wage and stop having to have every thursday off lol

PartP usually requires a domestic installer qual as a minimum to gain entry into the special club ;)
2330 level 2 would get you in the door with 17th being a must further down the line.

A lot of smaller firms would accept you with 2330 level 2 and 17th providing you can do the job (experienced?)
lot of firms tend to advertise vacancies for sparks with 17th & 2391 qualified, but again if no experience then no job.

my advice, continue with study while trying to gain experience.....

Im in the same boat mate, finishing level 2 this year. Im going onto 2330 level 3 next year cos its the last year before it changes to 2357 which is basically 2330 and an nvq together and you need to be employed to do it and getting employed at the moment is hard work (has you know)! my advice do level 3 and get your 17th edition done in-between and by time you've got these hopefully work will have pick up.

Good things come to those who wait :)

To add to what Gus said, when I was at college I was told priority for entry on the 2330 level 3 went to those who had just completed the level 2. I was also lead to believe the level 2 is a partial qualification and not worth much without the level 3 which makes sense - you need the level 3 to do the 2356 (or from what I've heard the required modules of the 2357 when it comes in), and if you were applying for a job and the other candidate(s) had the same qualifications as you but the 2330 level 3 as well they would have the advantage.
I did the 17th edition update course which is cheaper and doesn't take as long as the full course, but the college wanted to see my level 3 certificate.

I would recommend doing it, but obviously it's up to you.

I'd recommend doing it. If you take and pass it then you are more qualified then the lads who don't think it is worth it which will put you in a better position when going for jobs. You'll probably find the info easier to take in as well having recently passed your level 2.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

definately do the level 3 mate. for one, you need it to get JIB registered, which most of the big sites want, and all the agencies ask me for mine. Also, as far as im aware, the level 2 is not a stand alone qualification. you have to do it to get on the level 3. without level 3, i think youll find the level 2 is useless. whilst doin your level 3, also do the NVQ 3 and 17th.
I agree with an earlier post, where you were told not to listen to your mates. At the end of the day, they wont pay your bills if your out of work, cos your not qualified enough to get a job.

Good luck matey.

The comments on the new 2357 are good advice. Get what you can now cos the new 2357 will mean new units and an AM2 even for practising operatives. I think most time served sparks should sign up to the old 2356 before december if they dont have an NVQ otherwise it will cost a bucket full of cash.

Im finishing my 3rd year now on the 2330, and if you finish year 3 you can go on a 1 day update for 17th edition. After that you can complete the part p exam which gives you your test certificates so you could work domesticly then you could worrie about completing your nvqs but have ability to work for the sack of 1 years work.

served sparks should sign up to the old 2356 before december if they dont have an NVQ otherwise it will cost a bucket full of cash.

completed all my exams but never bothered with the nvq3, then when i heard about the changes thought maybe i ought to do it.

signed up with local college, got it free, found it all very simple, had it completed in about 4 weeks just waiting for the cert coming through post may even get a jib card next.

would advise any1 without it to try and get it now before rules change again.

Hi, i am just finishing up my Level 2 2330 and most of the boys in my class are not doing the level 3. They reckon you dont really need it? I was going to do it but am now thinking otherwise.

I am not working in the industry as of yet because i am finding it hard to get a job without experience and my uncle who worked for T.CLARKE who was gonna get me on there has been made redundant.:mad:

My teacher has suggested i get my 17th edition and try and get a job in the industry before starting my level 3. Personally i would rather just get it out the way.

Im at a bit of a crossroads and not completely sure what to do now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard!

DEFINITELY do level 3, I'm coming into my last exam (finished the theory one's, now waiting for my time on the rig) I know it seems harsh when you're at college and not working but not doing your level 3 when you can is only going to hinder your progress, a few people in my class have been employed whilst taking level 3.. it's one day a week and if you want to be fully qualified you've got to do it so I would/DID carry on doing it.

It shouldn't be a decision, just carry it on.. you'll regret it if you didn't.

I would advise that you do the Level 3 now AND register for NVQ before the expiry date for registration in December 2010. This way you can still complete your NVQ at a later date after gaining enough work experience as the final date for claiming this NVQ qualification is December 2013.

This means that you can secure your qualifications and your JIB registration etc without having to deal with the complications of the new 2357 at a later date.

Reply to Help please - finished level 2 2330 , should i do level 3? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net