Discuss Help please having a blonde moment in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

I am taking a 2.5 T+E on a radial from CU to a dble skt (in garage). Was gonna then take a SFSpur off the skt to feed a light. Now, as well as this light there is a seperate PIR security light. How can I wire the 2 lights off one radial feeding a twin 13A dble skt (fused down of course) as one is a switched light and one is PIR activated and unswitched?

Am being blonde I am sure:rolleyes:

yeah, considered that fella but wondered if there was a simple way on a radial

lol.....look what i just got "Hello Grae79 it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

Happy now!? ;)

why can't u just take feed from fused spur to light switch and feed both lights from there? maybe am missing something

Last edited by a moderator:
Waaaaay!!!!

Welcome back Grae!!!

Where've you been hiding?

See!? Those e-mails from Luke and Dan DO WORK!!!

(Sorry for hi-jacking your thread cirrus)

"Ummmm... What rumrunner said"

Last edited by a moderator:
lol.....look what i just got "Hello Grae79 it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

Happy now!? ;)

why can't u just take feed from fused spur to light switch and feed both lights from there? maybe am missing something
Hi Grae. How? 2.5 twin radial into dble skt, from there into SFS which will act as light switch for bayonnet fiting. One light is switched and th other is on a PIR

put unswitched fused spur after socket....then take 1mm to light switch...take switched feed to light from there and permanent feed to o/s light??

Doh!
Bad day matey. Thanks - wouldn't mind if I had big ---- and blonde hair:D

put unswitched fused spur after socket....then take 1mm to light switch...take switched feed to light from there and permanent feed to o/s light??

but then where is the isolation for the outside light to change the lamp?

the fuse should be not be used as an isolator

why not put a sw/fuse spur in as suggested, light switch for bayonet, permanent live from switched side of sw/fuse unit to outside light

and if that dont work use a h.f digital ballast (ask Rum;))

Just thinking about this a bit more Shakey - are you saying that the S/F/Spur will have 2 'loads'. One will be the permanent live going out to the security light and the other will be feeding the light switch controlling the bayonnet light?

Just thinking about this a bit more Shakey - are you saying that the S/F/Spur will have 2 'loads'. One will be the permanent live going out to the security light and the other will be feeding the light switch controlling the bayonnet light?

thats right matey

why, do you think that will be a problem?

the fuse is the overcurrent protection, so it is no different to running multiple sockets of a sw/f/spur unit

alternatively, run a 1mm of the back of the socket, to a sw/f/sp unit to the bayonet, and another 1mm from the supply side of this sw/f/sp unit to another sw/f/sp unit to feed the outside light (i wouldnt personally do this - but it is an alternative answer to your problem);)

i will now wait the :eek: replies that will inevitably follow, and i know what you are gonna say:p

Nah, I just had never done it this way before because effectively you will have a 2.5 coming into supply side with two 1mm cables on the load side. Will just have to make sure all terminations are extra neat to ensure the metal clad front goes on nicely.
Interesting to double check best practice;)

Nah, I just had never done it this way before because effectively you will have a 2.5 coming into supply side with two 1mm cables on the load side. Will just have to make sure all terminations are extra neat to ensure the metal clad front goes on nicely.
Interesting to double check best practice;)

why bother with the 2.5 at all then?

just feed the sw/f/sp unit with 1mm anyway, coming off the back of the socket, then two seperate 1mm's on the load side;)

Take supply to unswitched spur as said then to fitting and wire as 3 plate. You now have a supply from the light for the pir all you need to do is take a switch pair down to the switch.

Might be an idea to put a 2 gang switch after the unswitched spur and feed the garage light
form one and the PIR from the other. That way if it's an 'intelligent' PIR there is a way to
control it and also if someone needs the change the bulb it can be isolated without going to
CU. Remember to put feed to Socket on RCD or RCBO too! Socket could be used for portable equipment. (Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) :-O

Take supply to unswitched spur as said then to fitting and wire as 3 plate. You now have a supply from the light for the pir all you need to do is take a switch pair down to the switch.

this takes us back to the earlier problem, no isolation for PIR to change lamp

Reply to Help please having a blonde moment in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock