Discuss Help please re home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

squashabe

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hello I'm new to the site and if possible can anyone please help, although I realize that it's not an electrical question. I have installed Cat 5 e cable to socket outlets in living and bedrooms. I have taken all the cables to one point where I plan to plug into a router which will be connected to a BT line. The BT lines comes into the hall and I have run a Cat 5 cable from the BT master socket to a point where the router will be located. My plan is to extend the BT connection from the master socket to a cupboard where the router will be. Can anyone please help with the wiring arrangements. I need to know what cables I will connect to the BT master socket to extend this. Currently it has only two wires connected a blue and orange wire. Secondly how do I connect the wires that will plug into the router and connect to a face plate where I can plug an ethernet cable to get internet access for laptops, or to connect a Playststion 3. Also, is it also possible to use the same socket outlet for a phone connection? [/FONT]

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Adrian

You cannot connect into an old style BT socket. You will need to get BT to upgrade your master socket to the new style with a removable front, which you can connect to without the risk of shorting out the line.
The only cable which is needed to feed your router will be standard 3-pair phone line from your new master socket. You can then feed each network connection from your router with your Cat 5 cable.
If you get BT out (for a fee of course), they will connect the cable to the router for you while they are there.

You should have connections on the back of your master Bt point 123 456. Connect 3 of your cat5 cable cores to 2,3 and 5 at the master point and connect the same at secondary point beside new router. Cut other cores off. You will need an RJ45 crimping tool and crimps for making ends to go into router. You need separate cable runs for ethernet at telephones

When I said that "you cannot connect into an old style BT socket", I should have said that "you are not allowed to". If you take out the fuse at the exchange and BT see you have tampered, then you may get in trouble. Your call tho.

You should have connections on the back of your master Bt point 123 456. Connect 3 of your cat5 cable cores to 2,3 and 5 at the master point and connect the same at secondary point beside new router. Cut other cores off. You will need an RJ45 crimping tool and crimps for making ends to go into router. You need separate cable runs for ethernet at telephones

Do not connect terminal 3 it is not needed and may cause interference and reduced broadband speed

Do not connect terminal 3 it is not needed and may cause interference and reduced broadband speed
this is new to me. always used to have to connect 3. what has changed?

Yer If I remember corectly without number 3 conected the extention phone had a dial tone but would never ring! not needed if only using for internet. but always wondered why.

this is new to me. always used to have to connect 3. what has changed?

Been around for a while now, it has been found that in some cases reduced broadband speeds are down to interference on the ringing/bell wire (terminal 3)

You can also use an I-Plate to reduce interference BT I-Plate (iPlate) some useful reading here as to reasons why the bell wire needs filtering if used or the fact that with modern phones it is redundant

Last edited:
If you have a modern master socket the old bell circuit is irrelevant now, as it is filtered. I tried all the methods under the sun to improve my broadband until I actually made a complaint... "That's ok Sir, we can re-profile your line". Has gone up from 1.9 Mbps to 4.2Mbps just by me making a fuss.

The iPlate adds a 22mH choke in series with the "bell wire" (pin 3) to decouple any interference on that wire that may cause ADSL interference.
If you only have modern touch-tone phones then the bell wire isn't necessary and as said above can be disconnected from the 'house side' of the master socket.
You can get NTE5 (modern BT sockets with removable front half plate) from the likes of ebay and replace yourself, although legally this should be done by BT (Openreach), or whoever is responsible for your line provision.

Thanks very much for the replies. The BT master socket has a detachable front plate and I haven't tampered with this. If I understand correctly I'm to connect 3 of the cat5 cable cores to 2,3 and 5 at the master socket. This may be a stupid question, but the cat 5 has six wires. Is a core counted as a green cable with a lighter cable twisted around. So will I be conncting 6 cables at each end? (3 pairs)? Also, I have two socket outlets with Cat 5 in each room. For internet I would use the feed from the router to one socket with an ethernet plate and would it be correct to feed the other socket with a standard phone outlet from the new BT socket next to the router?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Adrian

whats going on in this forum ive been away quite a while and come back to seeing threads encouraging DIYers to tackle stuff they have no knowledge on, is this right. Or am i out of order.

Your router plugs into the BT master socket, you put rj45 crimp plugs on the cat 5's and plug them into your router, do not wire them into the BT socket!

Why not just get a wireless router?

whats going on in this forum ive been away quite a while and come back to seeing threads encouraging DIYers to tackle stuff they have no knowledge on, is this right. Or am i out of order.

Fair comment, seeming as this guy wants to bypass his router and wire cat 5 for network to bt master socket!

If your Master socket looks like this
image012.jpg

Then you can connect to the terminals on the rear of the front removable plate (marked "extension wiring" in this photo:
testqc.jpg

Only connect one core (wire) to terminal 2 and the other of the same pair to 5. Eg:
Blue wire to 5,
White with blue stripe (or lighter blue wire) to 2.
(So you're only using 2 of the 8 cores in the Cat5).

The other end of that cable connects to the same number terminals on a 'secondary' (extension) Telephone socket at the router location. The router's line-in then plugs into that.

If you want to connect a network device (eg PC, Laptop, Network Printer) to one of the plates in the other room then you should connect all 8 cores (although they're not all used) of a Cat5 cable from and RJ45 socket in the room to another one next to the router. You can then use a standard RJ45 patch cable from the router to the adjacent socket. Repeat that for each room.

If you want a telephone socket in the room then you connect those to 2 & 5 of the extension socket by the router, or the back of the removable master socket plate, it doesn't matter.

You can get a 1-gang plate with an RJ45 socket and a telephone socket on it (eg http://www.******************/Products/CM2183.html ). If you use that one, cut the yellow capacitor off as that's for 'Master' applications.

Hope that helps.

Reply to Help please re home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net