Discuss Help requested with what looks like three way switch :( in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nobody_

Hi there, could you possibly assist with this.
This is my small town house with 2 floors.

The first of the three switches and lights begin in the entrance hallway then on hallway in first floor and again hallway on second floor.

The first two I think are working fine- but when I took off the third fitting I was faced with what looks like a nightmare, so much for simple home improvements :)
The third is enclosed here graphically.

Could you advise what needs to go where with a view to making this finally work again.
All three switches are either on or off, meaning that if I switch on at any of the three point then all three light fittings go on.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 31
I take it the picture is of a light fitting judging by the base , ill be honest with you it would be very difficult to give you an acurate answer and feel that you should seek the help of a Part P regestered electrician as proffesional test equipment may be required to correctly identify the wiring

sorry i cant be of any further assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you will have to bite the bullet and call in a spark with test gear. it's not a straightforward job. on a job like this, it's ideal to have 2 pairs of hands. maybe you could switch the switches while he meters out at the lights etc.

beat me again nick. must be the welsh water. LOL.

Looks like you have three cables, two three core ans earth and one two core and earth. If thats the case then the switch will be an 'intermediate switch'. This has 4 terminals, two in and two out. Usually I would connect grey and black to first pair and black and grey to second pair (note reversal) then the switch wires (two core and earth) to either set.

@Durham Sparky I think the one you marked appears to be connected to the light switch which is on the same floor but for the attic.
If I connect the ones that look right for the light fitting in the 2nd floor what to do with the others?

nobody! with out wishing to insult you if you just play the game of connecting cables up that you think fit and work you will have 3 scenarios!!

1) you will have no power as the MCB will trip
2) You may electrocute your self or others
3) You may start a fire

save face and spend £30 and get a spark out to assist you! save you time and effort seriously!

Got that, thanks a lot for the advice I'm definitely getting the electrician involved for this.

Much appreciated. If I could you a beer for your help I certainly would :)

Cheers.

I dont bother with the sleaving, its a waste of money, just cut all the CPCs off.....its how my grandad used to do it.

You dont need them anyway!

Reply to Help requested with what looks like three way switch :( in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net