Discuss Help required on behalf of Michelle, Problems with work done by a contractor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Newbie, wasnt sure how to start a new thread so i started one for them, just waiting for the op to come along and post their story mate.

Newbie, wasnt sure how to start a new thread so i started one for them, just waiting for the op to come along and post their story mate.

How come youre not just helping them direct ? a friend of yours out side the forum ?

No sign of anyone called Michelle on the current online members HT. Are you sure there's not some cross dressing alter ego thing going on mate?
If there is it's nothing to be ashamed of, we will still respect you as much if not more.
It takes courage:)

No sign of anyone called Michelle on the current online members HT. Are you sure there's not some cross dressing alter ego thing going on mate?
If there is it's nothing to be ashamed of, we will still respect you as much if not more.
It takes courage:)
Hi there, I am Michelle and HT was helping me out as I've been pretty clueless on this forum.
Please let me explain that I'm not an electrician, but am a bit unhappy about what has happened in my kitchen. I had hoped to seek some advice and joined the forum as a result.
Ok, down to it.... I've just had a kitchen installed. The guy who did it said that he was Part P registered (no idea what that really means, but accepted it as being fit and proper to do the job). Aside from taking 3 weeks to do the job, he has signed off part of what he has done (but not all of it) on a certificate. I've posted the photos on facebook of the electrics (and other things) which is open to public access - my username is Michelle Baird. - sorry I digress, off on a personal crusade now.

The part P certificate I placed below the hanging-off-the-wall, live sockets and photographed as I think the world should see.
Is there a register of Part P certificated persons? I've looked on the Competent Person's List (better late than never eh??) but I can't find his name on there.

The cooker has been moved about 3m away from its original siting but he left the switch in situ in its old place ie 3m away from the cooker - not sure if that's ok?
I suppose what I am saying is that as the rest of the kitchen has been a bodge-up (although no-one is going to die from a poorly fitted kitchen), I am concerned now as to the safety of the electrics or if they're done right. Who do I go to to check his competence, if the job is done right, if it is safe?

Thanks so much for your help and especially to High Tower for his kind assistance.

Good morning Michelle and welcome.
Have you expressed your concerns to the electrician and what was his response. I dont understand why he signed off only some of his work, strange. Did he do all the kitchen installation ie, plumbing, electrical work, joinery, plastering ect.
At the end of the day I am sure Mr HT will direct you to a happy conclusion, he is a good fellow !!

I doubt very much he is a registered electrician, the certificate he has used is one you can buy over a counter at a wholesalers, it is not one from any part P scheme provider. Also this work is notifiable to your local authority, any registered electrician would of done this for you as part of the job, did you see this "electrician" with any test instruments? Any meters to test his work? Were you about when he wrote the certificate out?

All this to one side... This is not to say your kitchen electrics are unsafe and you are at any risk, 3m for a cooker isolator is too far in my opinion. Also has he left the sockets back thinking someone is about to tile the wall? Although this is no excuse for not screwing them back

I doubt very much he is a registered electrician, the certificate he has used is one you can buy over a counter at a wholesalers, it is not one from any part P scheme provider. Also this work is notifiable to your local authority, any registered electrician would of done this for you as part of the job, did you see this "electrician" with any test instruments? Any meters to test his work? Were you about when he wrote the certificate out?

All this to one side... This is not to say your kitchen electrics are unsafe and you are at any risk, 3m for a cooker isolator is too far in my opinion. Also has he left the sockets back thinking someone is about to tile the wall? Although this is no excuse for not screwing them back

Thank you for your comments Mr Mike, I appreciate your time. He did know that we weren't tiling as we asked him if he would sort the walls ready for painting (due to the upstands).
Thanks for the advice re the certification. so it basically means nothing? I wasn't there when he did the checks, he did it when I was at work.

He is a kitchen fitter first and foremost but claimed to be qualified as a plumber and Part P certified for electrics. Apparently been in the trade for 32 years......

Hi Michelle does he have a regestration number on his certificate or state Elecsa Napit NICEIC etc if you are not happy it could well be an idea to contact your local trading standards , you could always say where your from im sure one of the forum members may be able to pop round, High tower is a good guy

Reply to Help required on behalf of Michelle, Problems with work done by a contractor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock