Discuss help required!wiring motion sensors in parallel to lighting circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

a1pacino

I am trying to wire some motion sensors in parallel at each end of a corridor at work.There are 6 lights that are connected to this circuit via small plugs. I have got one sensor which work's by connecting it to feed at IN terminal and connecting OUT terminal to closest light. Doing this makes the whole corridor's lighting work via this motion sensor. This is where I have drawn a blank as I have connected this to the sensor at other end of corridor and power is at the sensor but it does not turn the light's on like the sensor at front end of corridor.I know it's probably something blatantly obvious I must be missing but if anyone can spell it out like a 'for dummie's" manner it will hopefully remove the confusion and mental block! i rang the wholesaler and he said that 2 sensors should work on same circuit if wired in parallel.I finished college a couple of year's back and I am already getting rusty! many thanks in advanceWet Fish

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you have power at the 'in' side of the second PIR, check for voltage on the 'out' side going to the light after activating the PIR. If you don't get anything then its probablys a faulty PIR.
To give anymore help id need to know in more detail how you have wired it

Last edited:
i tried this and it never worked either i have been seriously doubting myself all day!, I checked if the sensor was broken by using another one and that didnt do it!there is power to the second sensor as I can see flahing LED but it will not activate light circuit like first sensor.

thanks for quick replies guy's. It has small plug's for each light ( i think they are called flik or clik) that each fluorescent fitting plugs into along the circuit if that's any help

If one works the other one should - if you've got a permanent live to one, linking it directly to the permanent live on the other will provide it with a live.
Same with the neutral.
When either one activates it should output a live to the switched live.
Either one should make the lights come on if they're connected together.

this is what i thought but for some reason only one side is working I have been so frustrated today thinking I must have missed something obvious!, I tried it with 2 other sensor's, they both must be broken!

Well seeings as you know the 1st PIR definitely works try it in the 2nd position and see if it works there.
Then try 1 of the ones you suspect doesn't work in the 1st position. This will verify if they are faulty!

If the PIRs came with klik connectors on them the live feed (brown) will probably go into 'L' and the switched live (black) to 'A'.
Chances are on the lights they used brown ('L') for switched live and black ('A') for permanent live for emergency fittings, so basically the other way around.

I find it can help to draw a picture to make everything clearer.

Reply to help required!wiring motion sensors in parallel to lighting circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net