Discuss Help Required with Burglar Alarm (If Possible) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

geoffp

As this is my first post here please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place, I am now retired aged 72 and my home was recently burgled, I have bought a cheap second hand wireless burglar alarm system from ebay, it has no installation manual with the kit.

It contains 6 wireless PIR's, 1 smoke detector, Control Panel, Remote Control and Bell Box, I am hoping that someone on the forum would have heard of this system, it is:- EEC Home Security and the control panel is Type 10.683

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

i'm sure a member or 3 is in the essex area , could install it for you. i'm not familiar with the make so can't offer any advice on line. have you tried googling the manufacturer?

Many thanks, There are only bad reports of the company, they were highlighted on Watchdog years ago for conning O.A.p's and are now out of business.

think eec were the original installers. a pic . of the control panel would help.

i think you need 6 posts before you can add a pic. so rattle a few more off over the next 24 hours; LOL. :teeth_smile:

edit: if the keypad is separate, include it in the photo.

I've had a look at their web site and the alarm system that you have bought will be a bulk buy without the manufacturers logo on it but plastered with the EEC brand. You may find that it may not work without reprogramming it due to a telephone link needs to be supplied or it will have an in built mobile to call their call center (thats how companies like this make their money).

I would do a dry test once you have the instructions (take the front panel off and look for a proper manufacturers name and model number). Put it on a plug top and set up the PIR's, bellbox and keypad before you go to the trouble of installing it.

Hi Paul, does this mean that I have wasted my pension? I was hoping that it would operate just as an alarm system, I must admit that you have me worried about this telephone link thing.

I have been chatting to the guy who sold me the system and apparently it was working up to a couple of weeks ago when it was removed from an old couples house

be a good ideas to get the user code/s from him if you can. this will save a lot of trouble.

Hi Paul, does this mean that I have wasted my pension? I was hoping that it would operate just as an alarm system, I must admit that you have me worried about this telephone link thing.

I have been chatting to the guy who sold me the system and apparently it was working up to a couple of weeks ago when it was removed from an old couples house

Ask the guy who sold you it for the (his) code as Telectrix said above and also ask they guy if he was on a monthly monitoring contract? No big deal if it was because it can be linked out but you would need an alarm engineer to do it.

No need to worry about the points I've said, its just that I'm very cynical when it comes down to companies like this. My mother in-law is hooked up with one f these "service" contracts and its nothing I cant do within an hour whilst having a cup of tea. I'm just cynical about these things, thats all.

even reputable companies tie you up to expensive monitoring/maintenance contracts. this eec company were using double glazing hard sell sales techniques to sell alarms. it's been going on for 30+years, but most have now been weeded out/closed down.

It seems that the OAP who bought the system paid EEC £2500 for it plus £900 for a 3 year maint contract. he is now with ADT.

The system is armed and disarmed using a remote control (fob)

well, that's a bargain if you can get it up and running.

even reputable companies tie you up to expensive monitoring/maintenance contracts. this eec company were using double glazing hard sell sales techniques to sell alarms. it's been going on for 30+years, but most have now been weeded out/closed down.

Yeap, I saw an advertisement on TV last week "£100 to install your alarm then £24.99 per month monitoring service + annual service (minimum 5 year contract)". Think I should do the same, install 100 alarms within the first year then sit back and wait for the false alarm phone calls to come directly to me. Plus I could do the annual check = "you need a need battery love, that will be £79.99 + vat".

I started out in the game at 17 when ADT was ripping people off with timing switches in the pannel. I'm cynical about any company like these.

Before I bought this system I must admit that I was thinking of joining ADT they wanted £199 to install plus £20 something monthly charge, I only get £90 a week pension so that idea went out the window.

It seems that craze around Harwich is buying ADT bell boxes and putting them up as a decoy

if you can post a couple of pics tomorrow, we might be able to identify. if so, it's reasonably easy to get hold of the manual with most manufacturers. it might just be a simple matter of fixing all the bits up and relying on the existing programming.

Reply to Help Required with Burglar Alarm (If Possible) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net