Discuss HELP!!! Searching for an Old MK mcb Type 2 45a in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mincsymm

Hi all, I'm at my wits end.:46: I've been looking an old MK MCB Type 2 45A or 50A. I recently purchased a new shower unit ( Luda AKW 10.5KW electric shower). I've been through so many webpages the words are beginning to blur. My question is: does anyone know where I can purchase one for a reasonable price? I've checked eBay, Amazon, many whole sellers sites, and Google shopping. I currently have a 30a MCB and it's not able to handle the electrical supple for the new shower; it trips 7 minutes in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi all, I'm at my wits end.:46: I've been looking an old MK MCB Type 2 45A or 50A. I recently purchased a new shower unit ( Luda AKW 10.5KW electric shower). I've been through so many webpages the words are beginning to blur. My question is: does anyone know where I can purchase one for a reasonable price? I've checked eBay, Amazon, many whole sellers sites, and Google shopping. I currently have a 30a MCB and it's not able to handle the electrical supple for the new shower; it trips 7 minutes in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

what size is the shower/shower cable?

You need an electrician to assess the suitability of the existing circuit and it's arrangements for use with the new shower and carry out any alterations required.

i posted at the same time as you did Andy, and when i read your comment i click on their profile

A Shower isnt a place i would want some DIY/Handy Man to sort out in..
Having been Shocked in a Flat i Rented in Southend just for the Handy Man to replace the shower.
i had to use the locale swimming pool as i was too scared to shower

Last edited by a moderator:
i posted at the same time as you did Andy, and when i read your comment i click on their profile

No worries, always best to check before giving advice to an unknown member, especially with only one post. Any advice could be inappropriate or dangerous.
I have reported this thread as needing moved to the DIY section.

Just reading the Manuel and it says to use 10mm

"Shower installation must be carried out by a suitably qualified person (eg NIC EIC) and in accordance with these instructions. "

"It is strongly recommended to use a minimum of 10mm2 cabling throughout the shower installation. "

No worries, always best to check before giving advice to an unknown member, especially with only one post. Any advice could be inappropriate or dangerous.
I have reported this thread as needing moved to the DIY section.

Cheers Andy - Yes can see your point and I approved it for this section it probably did need to go in the DIY (My Bad), in reflection the advice given here is good and to the point though.

@mincsyimm..

Welcome to the forum, the advice and mainly concern here is your circuit cable may now be undersized for a 10.5kw shower which if you change the mcb to a larger size could cause a fire.

I highly recommend you get the circuit checked tested and verified that it is suitable for such a shower, with all respect and going on the previous mcb rating I believe the cabling will be undersized.

Do not use the shower until you have had an Electrician in.

Hi all thanks for the replies.
I'm not personally doing any of the installation, my partner and a friend of his from work that has experience with these type of installations are doing the installation. I only join and posted here to see if anyone knows any whole sellers or any websites that sell the MCB for a reasonable price. That ebay listing for ÂŁ19 isnt a very reasonable price for mcb when newer models are 5-7 ÂŁ. I suppose since the old version is now discontinued that any stray parts would be considered valuable and that price may be reasonable but I'd prefer to purchase it at the price only as last resort. I had seen that one and an another for 29. The cable is a 10mm.We've also contacted Western Power,and The Company that sells the shower unit. We've been told that replacing the MCB is safe to do. The only installation that would be dangerous would be installing an entire new consumer unit.

Also on a side note when the shower trips there is an error code that flashes: Over Temp Flash that I can not seem to find any information online about. The Technical support department for the shower said it's most likely because the MCB can handle the electrical supply that the shower requires.

Hi all thanks for the replies.
I'm not personally doing any of the installation, my partner and a friend of his from work that has experience with these type of installations are doing the installation. I only join and posted here to see if anyone knows any whole sellers or any websites that sell the MCB for a reasonable price. That ebay listing for ÂŁ19 isnt a very reasonable price for mcb when newer models are 5-7 ÂŁ. I suppose since the old version is now discontinued that any stray parts would be considered valuable and that price may be reasonable but I'd prefer to purchase it at the price only as last resort. I had seen that one and an another for 29. The cable is a 10mm.We've also contacted Western Power,and The Company that sells the shower unit. We've been told that replacing the MCB is safe to do. The only installation that would be dangerous would be installing an entire new consumer unit.

The advice you have stated in this particular post is not good IMO. The 45 amp you are looking for are nearly as rare as rocking horse proverbial and people know that, that's why they get sold for a higher price. Your partners friend from work, is he an electrician?

Edit .. just seen your comment on the cable been 10mm so retracting this post as I put it up at the same time.

Last edited:
Yes he is an electrician. I am aware that the part is basically a unicorn amongst the electrical spare parts world. I had hoped on this forum there might be someone with a mystical holy grail of knowledge about spare parts.

Reply to HELP!!! Searching for an Old MK mcb Type 2 45a in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net