Discuss Help. Socket removal in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

335-pilot

I have been asked to remove a few sockets which are to be plastered over. It's part of the ring main so it would be easiest to connect them up box in tape up and plaster up.Is this ok? Is it the best practice? Can I do it a better way?Cheers

I have been asked to remove a few sockets which are to be plastered over. It's part of the ring main so it would be easiest to connect them up box in tape up and plaster up.Is this ok? Is it the best practice? Can I do it a better way?Cheers

Absolutely not.....apart from invisible joints in the wall,you will have live cables not in a safe zone....these sort of bodges are garanteed future problems. Pull the cables up under the floor and either use a suitable maintenance free joint box or rewire that section of the ring.

Hi 335-pilot.
As you know all cables embedded in a wall feeding sockets, switches etc must be run in the safe zones - vertically or horizontally up or down or across from the accessory - but not diagonally - see regs for details.
If your cables feeding these sockets are embedded, you can assume(if they've been installed correctly) that the cables have been installed either horizontally or vertically from that accessory so you wouldn't drill or nail in those areas.
Take away the accessory and you have no indication that the cables are there and so run the risk of people nailing or drilling them in the future.
You can either replace them with blank plates thereby still retaining the safe zone indication or remove sockets AND cable by lifting floorboards and boxing.

Absolutely not.....apart from invisible joints in the wall,you will have live cables not in a safe zone....these sort of bodges are garanteed future problems. Pull the cables up under the floor and either use a suitable maintenance free joint box or rewire that section of the ring.

I'm with wirepuller on this one. If you remove the socket, you remove the safe zone it creates.

Sorry I'm newly qualified. Wagos? Was thinking of chocolate blocks and tape

Choc-blocks and tape is a very shoddy way of doing things. All connections should be made in a suitable enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
So best way forward is totally remove all wiring and rewire ring? That is quite costly in time isn't it? I havnt seen the job yet but I will post back once inspected.

No that's not what's being said.
Pulling cables up from sockets and boxing under floorboards is hardly rewiring complete circuit - it's merely modifying what you have.

So best way forward is totally remove all wiring and rewire ring? That is quite costly in time isn't it? I havnt seen the job yet but I will post back once inspected.

You don't have to rewire the entire ring, just that section of the ring.

If the two wires entering the socket are coming from under floor or above ceiling, it's an easy fix. Just pull cables down under floor / up above ceiling and join in a choc-box or something. SIMPLES!!!

WAGO's are maintenance free connectors.
If you terminate cables into a junction box and that junction box can't be accessed for maintenance ie under floorboards you must use maintenance free connections. WAGO's give you this option. They are incredibly simple to install - do all the connections first before you squeeze them all into the box - simple.

Your correct doing it properly as suggested by removing cablkes from wall and correctly joining or pulling in a new section of cable (Prefered option IMO) will be more expensive than a BODGE job but you willl sleep better having done a proper SAFE job rather than a cheap bodge unsafe job

Hi, not even sure why your asking the question, any joins in cable must be accessible, quite a basic thing really. remove any accessories and you must make sure, usually by a blank plate that cables are run vetically or horizontally. That still doesn't change the point of ALL joins must be known and accessible.

Hi, not even sure why your asking the question, any joins in cable must be accessible, quite a basic thing really. remove any accessories and you must make sure, usually by a blank plate that cables are run vetically or horizontally. That still doesn't change the point of ALL joins must be known and accessible.

Apart from the exceptions described in 526.3.

Not going to argue JUD, but all sparks are different all do their own thing as long as it complies, but i would never join a cable and see it plastered over.

Absolutely not.....apart from invisible joints in the wall,you will have live cables not in a safe zone....these sort of bodges are garanteed future problems.

If it's worth doing then it's worth doing right and being able to go home and sleep at night.

I was recently asked to do a similar job and was instructed by the boss to just remove accessories, join in the backbox and bag up so that they could be plastered over... Umm< don't flipping think so!!!

As has already been pointed out, there will be live cables concealed within the walls with no indication that they are there. You need to stick to the safe zones and if you can't then you need to well and truly cover your ---.

You must pull these cables out of the wall, it's the RIGHT way! :thumbsup

Chocolate blocks and tape are extreme bad practice and according to the association of Chief Fire Officers one of the major causes of house fires in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
WAGO's are maintenance free connectors.
If you terminate cables into a junction box and that junction box can't be accessed for maintenance ie under floorboards you must use maintenance free connections. WAGO's give you this option. They are incredibly simple to install - do all the connections first before you squeeze them all into the box - simple.

The maintenance free junction boxes until 01/01/12 still also have to be accessible.

Reply to Help. Socket removal in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock