Discuss Help spec'ing LED downlights and dimmers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rossyl

Hi,

I'm doing a complete house refurb including re-wiring. We would like dimmable LEDs downlighters throughout the house.
We've thought of getting - Mains LEDs in all rooms, except the bathrooms where they should be low voltage.

I want decent spec items that aren't top of the range, but are solid and will do a decent job. I've been doing some research and am now a bit lost and confused and hoping for some help!

Dimmer switches - we just want ordinary white plastic. With the face plate as shallow and tight to the wall as possible (is that flush or surface?).
Having had a look I think this might be a decent option: K1523WHILV LED Single Intelligent Dimmer

LED Lamps
This is where I am getting really lost.

We want:
- standard round downlighters,
- with a bulb that can swivel,
- white or chromed finish,
- available in cool white AND warm white light.

I've heard that I should get Philips MasterLED downlights. But having had a look around, I've no idea what to get or spec. Phillips seem to offer loads of LED options, some appear to be bulbs that just fit into old halogen units. Others seems much different.

Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much
R

1. bathroom lights can be 230V as long as they're suitable for the environment and IP rated if within zones.

2. you have a choice of fittings that are complkete with integral non-replaceable lamps. if they fail you change the complete fitting. or fittings and separate lamps.

3. ask your electrician's advice. he will have brochures and probably a few samples for you to look at.

Thanks.

If you don't mind I've a few more questions:

1 - Thanks for the info.

2 - What would you recommend and what works out most cost efficient? Complete with integral non-replaceable lamps, OR, fittings and separate lamps?

3 - As this is part of a large build. I am sure that the builder will try and save costs where he can. I am concerned that they will fit low-end items that will do the job but may fail after a few years. That's why I want to make sure that i ask for good quality items, as this will be a 10 year house at least.

Thanks very much.

Thanks.

If you don't mind I've a few more questions:

1 - Thanks for the info.

2 - What would you recommend and what works out most cost efficient? Complete with integral non-replaceable lamps, OR, fittings and separate lamps?

3 - As this is part of a large build. I am sure that the builder will try and save costs where he can. I am concerned that they will fit low-end items that will do the job but may fail after a few years. That's why I want to make sure that i ask for good quality items, as this will be a 10 year house at least.

Thanks very much.

You need to talk to the sparky & the builder together.

Some integrated LED's come with a 10 year warrenty if installed by a member of a competent persons scheme - so ask this question too.

You should be specifying the kit YOU want, not allowing the builder to install "whats on offer".

FYI I'm doing a refurbishment of my own at the moment and integrated LED's are on my list.

have a look at this site. LEDHUT.

If you google Ansell Titan led you will find that they offer the led downlight that you require, a good product at a fair price.

Have a look at the JCC led7 and led3 range, come with 10 year warranty and as you're after the 'high spec' look I don't know of any other downlights coming with a better finish (especially on the brushed nickel)

The led7 does come with the option of diming and swivel head but that combination is quite expensive. For hallways, bathrooms and other rooms requiring no dimming and not as many lumens (brightness) I'd opt for the cheaper (~£20) led3s. Still top finish and 10 year warranty

If you already have fittings in mind then ledhut is a good shout if you're just after lamps.

Reply to Help spec'ing LED downlights and dimmers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock