Discuss Help understanding heating systems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ASHCOLE

Hi all,
Not long took the plunge and set up as self employed after spending 9 years in the trade. The problem I have is I have never had to deal with heating systems. It is something I want to get my head round because at the moment if I get called out to a heating fault I would be a bit screwed. Can anyone give me any advice on where I can learn about wiring up heating systems, fault finding etc? Done research on the net but cant find much on it, suppose most learn by experience. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes, they are very helpful but I would like to learn more. I need to become competent in this field of work and dont know the best way to gain the experience. One day im going to be asked to sort out a heating problem or wire up a system and im gonna look like a mug :D! Cant seem to find any info on short courses etc.

I think Honeywell run some courses based on their own brand of heating controls etc, check out their website.

There are also some good reference books on Amazon.

Honeywell do a wiring guide,either by download or you can buy direct,its one area that is not generally covered and i think it would be helpful to cover it on all courses,not as daunting as you may think,once you get the hang of it you will wonder what the bother is all about,everything has l-n-e as normal then all the controls do is have a common and a switch live to a motorised valve or directly switching a combi boiler on for heating,not as difficult a concept as say motors/contactors/relays etc,far easier to pick up and fault find too.

its all about simple switching. start off with the programmer to the tank stat which turns on the valve which then switches on the boiler. same with heating through a roomstat. thats just a 's' plan said in a short way.theye are the common ones round here (west wales). follow the instuctions given with the motorised vales and bolires and you will soom pick it up to a point now where i only check the boiler instuctions to make sure if it wants any other supply. just go through it in stages is my only tip. got thrown in the deep end with my boss by showing what needs to be done told me get it working and since then seen them quite easy. you do come across different ones but when you understand how the work there all the same nearly.

Hi, after quite a bit of research i decided to buy THIS it literally only came a couple of days ago so haven't had much chance to look through it, but first impressions look good and it was v highly rated on amazon reviews. Seems very readable to me and contains lots of black and white photos and diagrams. Already learnt a bit more about 3 port valves :) Plus it is spiral bound and looks like it will stand quite a bit of abuse and not fall apart - unlike my copy of GN3 :(
edit: reviews are HERE

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help understanding heating systems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net