Discuss HELP! Water leaking through the light pendants from upstairs flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

blenham

I am a fairly new electrician and recently received a call out from an elderly client who says that on 6 occassions over the last 5 years there have been numerous water leaks transpiring from the flat above hers. She says on at least 3 occassions the water was pouring out from the spotlight (light pendant).

This has caused 3 different short circuits resulting to no light and has begun to effect the rest of the installation such as the the wall sockets in the kitchen blown and not working.

In terms of fault finding how do I determine if it is the water leaks which have
1) caused actual damage to the lighting circuit
2) any other tests to carry out appropriate in this case
3) what sort of remedial work is recommended
4) How the water leaks have effected the wall sockets
5) what are the implications if the problem is not fixed/solved

All input is greatly appreciated

You need to at the very least IR the circuit (s). I'd also have a word with the people upstairs and get them to have their plumbing and roofing checked out otherwise this will just keep happening. It sounds like the place is leaking like a sieve mate it needs to be watertight

are these flats rented? if so a word with the landlord is the way forward. there may be a problem with the plumbing, or it might just be stupidity of tenant upstairs. either way, it needs sorting out.

As above but also look at corrosion on the circuits. Location of accessories - does her story fit? If the tenants have PL insurance she might be able to claim against them for her repairs (might).

what are the implications if the problem is not fixed/solved

It will get worse and possibly kill someone?

Try this, go to the property above and tell them they must turn off their water supply as there is a potentially lethal situation occuring downstairs. Give them a number for an emergency plumber and request they call immediately.

Isolate any offending circuits in your clients property. Until the water issue is resolved there's not a great deal you can do.

You could pick up a fair amount of work on this, what type of consumer unit is fitted? Does it have RCD protection on it?

It's probably their sink or bath being overfilled. My son went through a stage of doing this the little so and so lol

If you don't put polite pressure on the property above then you won't get anything done so may as well walk away.

Water + Electricity is one cocktail I prefer to decline

I've been in this situation before with my Aunt, the property above had a knackered washing machine that keep pouring water out, which then came through the ceiling, and down the walls etc.

On the second occasion I had a heated chat, on the third occasion I took his main cut out fuse out. I put it back when we had carried the washing machine outside and put it out front for the council to collect.

Oh what they all said! Plus they need to start talking with upstairs about their insurance, but be careful, if an insurance company get involved they might use their own electrician.

but be careful, if an insurance company get involved they might use their own electrician.

That was exactly my thoughts, do the work, get paid and then mention that they should send the bill to the insurance company ;)

Trouble is it's a waste of time and money if you do'nt get the source of the problem fixed. Your customer really needs to talk to the upstairs owners/ tenants or landlords , or get someone to do it on her behalf.It's probably being caused by the symptoms described in other replies , maybe just lack of consideration . If the upstairs occupants are unaware - there is nothing they can do , they must be given the chance to put it right, certainly before you do any remedial work. Possibly all the cabling will run under their floorboards anyway, it could turn out a very complicated issue.

That was exactly my thoughts, do the work, get paid and then mention that they should send the bill to the insurance company ;)

Well said 1SC, this is an emergency call out to a potential life threatening situation and I bet the op can get there faster than the insurance company spark. Do the work, list everything that you have done including test results before and after, that way the insurance company can't question your bill.

You need to at the very least IR the circuit (s). I'd also have a word with the people upstairs and get them to have their plumbing and roofing checked out otherwise this will just keep happening. It sounds like the place is leaking like a sieve mate it needs to be watertight
Thanks Trevor..can you pls explain what IR means or stands for. The plumbing work at the upstairs flat has been fixed she says

Do an insulation resistance test mate, it might be that a little drying out is needed it might be more serious. Only testing will tell you

I'm gonna get shot for saying it but this situation only highlights my thought's on the fact there needs to be some sort of 'mentor' type system in place people need to go on after completeing a short DI course to give the newly 'qualified' DI a better chance and understanding of Electrics in the real world.

Not having a dig at the OP or any new short course DI as many are more than capable of installing to regs but a 'mentor' system of sorts would help the new DI's alot

I'm gonna get shot for saying it but this situation only highlights my thought's on the fact there needs to be some sort of 'mentor' type system in place people need to go on after completeing a short DI course to give the newly 'qualified' DI a better chance and understanding of Electrics in the real world.

Not having a dig at the OP or any new short course DI as many are more than capable of installing to regs but a 'mentor' system of sorts would help the new DI's alot

agree,but its been in place for years,aka apprentice/qualified spark,they just mess around with the titles these days.di was a detective inspector when i was youngin,but times move on i suppose

No typo's in that statement mate and no edit has been done.

If you don't know what IR means leave it alone and get some one in that knows how to inspect and test.

I did the IR test - coming up as water digress in the cables and circuits are corroded

[h=2]di·gress[/h]   [dih-gres, dahy-] Show IPA
verb (used without object)1.to deviate or wander away from the main topic or purpose inspeaking or writing; depart from the principal line ofargument, plot, study, etc.

2.Archaic . to turn aside.

I think maybe you mean INgress ....... It IS important to use the correct terminology - especially if you're considering taking the 2391 exam ....... but maybe I'm digressing here !!!

Reply to HELP! Water leaking through the light pendants from upstairs flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock