Discuss Help wiring 2 lights with double switch. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rmlong6

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all,

Could I get help with wiring this double switch which will be individually switching front and back external lights.
With this switch I have a live source from consumer unit going in, and 2 separate cables going in for front and back lights.

so when I connect live in from consumer unit I would connect to live 1 in on left and then place a live loop from live in 1 left to live in 1 right To power both switches ?

with the neutral cable coming in from consumer unit would I put this in left 3 and then loop across to right 3?

with separate out going cables connect live to live 2 out with one cable and connect other cable for other light and switch to live out 2 on right ?
then neutral from cable out on left to out 3 and neutral cable from right out to out 3 on right ?

if that makes sense ?

So basically I would like a switch to front light and a separate switch to back light

cheers Rich
1B193793-1332-4AE9-893C-0B0862CD9F3B.jpeg8635561A-7252-4085-A2D0-487A5B376CF3.jpeg

when I connect live in from consumer unit I would connect to live 1 in on left and then place a live loop from live in 1 left to live in 1 right To power both switches ?
Yes
with the neutral cable coming in from consumer unit would I put this in left 3 and then loop across to right 3?
NO!!!! The neutral does not connect to the switch at all. Put the incoming neutral, and the neutrals to the two lights in a separate bit of insulated terminal block.
with separate out going cables connect live to live 2 out with one cable and connect other cable for other light and switch to live out 2 on right ?
Yes
then neutral from cable out on left to out 3 and neutral cable from right out to out 3 on right ?
As above. NO!!! If you connect the neutral to 3 then the fuse will go BANG.

PS what are your plans for the indicator light on the switch?

you’re right to a point.

The neutrals just need connected together, NOT TO THE SWITCH AT ALL!

If you connect the neutrals to 3, there will be a dead short between live and neutral when the switch is operated.

Think of this as two switches… live feed to both number 1’s. Loop between.

Switched live from one of each of the 2’s

Please remember to isolate the circuit before working on it.

With the little red light… (2 small black wires) you can leave disconnected completely or have one black wire in the neutral link, and the other black wire in with the permanent live feed, so you can see where the switch is in the dark.

Edit; beaten to it

Yes

NO!!!! The neutral does not connect to the switch at all. Put the incoming neutral, and the neutrals to the two lights in a separate bit of insulated terminal block.

Yes

As above. NO!!! If you connect the neutral to 3 then the fuse will go BANG.

PS what are your plans for the indicator light on the switch?
Thanks for that, I would like to keep indicator light would I leave cable in same points as it’s been placed?
with live loop going in to it?

you’re right to a point.

The neutrals just need connected together, NOT TO THE SWITCH AT ALL!

If you connect the neutrals to 3, there will be a dead short between live and neutral when the switch is operated.

Think of this as two switches… live feed to both number 1’s. Loop between.

Switched live from one of each of the 2’s

Please remember to isolate the circuit before working on it.

With the little red light… (2 small black wires) you can leave disconnected completely or have one black wire in the neutral link, and the other black wire in with the permanent live feed, so you can see where the switch is in the dark.

Edit; beaten to it
Thanks for that not to bothered about indicator light to much

I imagine lights like this:

The light fittings (the bits with the bulbs etc) need a live, neutral and earth going to them. The switches only need live and switched live.

If you basically picture the fitting as having all three wires going to it but the live has a switch in the middle of it.

So for this all you need is live into 1, link over to the other 1, and out of either of 2 or 3 to power your light. Connect neutral and earth to the neutrals and earths from the cables that run to the lights, using a wago connector or similar.

These are two way switches and if you just want basic switching you actually only need a one way version.

Last edited:
I imagine lights like this:

The light fittings (the bits with the bulbs etc) need a live, neutral and earth going to them. The switches only need live and switched live.

If you basically picture the fitting as having all three wires going to it but the live has a switch in the middle of it.

So for this all you need is live into 1, link over to the other 1, and out of either of 2 or 3 to power your light.

These are two way switches and if you just want basic switching you actually only need a one way version.
Thanks for that, all sorted now ?

Reply to Help wiring 2 lights with double switch. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net