Discuss Help wiring a ceiling rose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In the room there is two holes in the ceiling

Below is a picture of the first hole
It only has two wires
The second hole has one wire

I think I am missing a wire for the switch?
Is it possible that this old house only has 2 wires?

When I turn on the electric, the light doesn't turn on
There is current in the wires because I have a device to check
Do I have to cut more holes to check for another wire?
Thanks

Help wiring a ceiling rose rose - EletriciansForums.net

Help wiring a ceiling rose pla - EletriciansForums.net

Possibly can you show the wiring at the switch. Whatever the outcome those cables need stripping back and the cpcs (earths) connecting.

It looks as though the wiring to the switch is missing.
The cable looks quite modern (new colours).
The earths in the ceiling rose should be connected to the big brass terminal.
Have you got a picture of the other hole with one wire?

Or it was the last light on the circuit, and one of those blue wires is sw live. But then it would have tripped or blown a fuse if switched on!

@westward10
Here's the wiring at the switch
I'll connect the earths now, I'll need to strip, would not connecting the earths stop the light from turning on?

@gaz_sparky
Looks like I'll have to cut more holes for that missing a cable
Here's the other hole with one wire, I not sure if this is correct
Does 3 plated wiring only have 2 wires?

@SJD
I think the second hole is the last light in the circuit
Due to its location and it only had one wire
The switch wire only goes to the first light in the circuit?
It doesn't trip

The text on the switch is
COMMON
6AX250V
AC ONLY
1 WAY 2 WAY

Thanks

Help wiring a ceiling rose rose2 - EletriciansForums.net

Help wiring a ceiling rose switch - EletriciansForums.net

This is speculative but shouldn't cause a problem. Put the browns at both roses together at the terminal the brown from the flex is connected at. If this fails you need the services of an electrician as there has obviously been some modifications taken place. ISOLATE THE POWER FIRST.

I think it may be worth getting an electrician in to rectify the problem cpc’s (Earth) should be continuous (connected together) electrician should not charge you much to sort it out and gives you peace of mind although if that’s just one light hopefully all the others aren’t the same?

Judging by the red singles in the switch this installation is very old. I suspect Diazed fuses are probably still in service, and the Earthing and bonding as well as meter tails are likely to be inadequate. The main protective conductor (neutralising link) may well also be undersized.

I would strongly recommend that a Registered Electrical Contractor be contacted and a Periodic Inspection Report be commissioned.

As Westward10 & Risteard said ^^^
Personally I would suspect that the switch wires goes into a junction box somewhere and the lights are fed from there, in which case the brown conductors should be looped together in the same terminal with the brown flex at the first ceiling rose, then the single brown and the the brown flex together in the same terminal at the last rose.
But my advice is to get in a spark to check it out as there are no cpc's connected which could/will be a problem especially if you have any metal fittings anywhere on this circuit. There could also be other defects which you may not be aware of that might affect the safety of this install.

Hidden junction box somewhere. Is there easy access from above?

I agree with westward and intoelectrics, connect the browns together and it might work.
Regarding those earths and the old wiring, chances are there is no earth on the old original circuit.
Avoid metal light fittings!
My gut feeling is that there was originally one centre light in the room which then got converted into two lights.

No catastrophe, it has worked!
Thanks for your help :)

Putting all three browns together at one terminal and all three blues together at another terminal done it
I even stripped backed the wires and put the earths together
Very pleased with myself
I never found the junction box
I broke a wire when replacing the switch, it surprised me that the switch and lights are on different fuses

@gaz_sparky
Yes, it was originally a one center light that got converted

Last edited:
In the room there is two holes in the ceiling

Below is a picture of the first hole
It only has two wires
The second hole has one wire

I think I am missing a wire for the switch?
Is it possible that this old house only has 2 wires?

When I turn on the electric, the light doesn't turn on
There is current in the wires because I have a device to check
Do I have to cut more holes to check for another wire?
Thanks

View attachment 51176

View attachment 51177
The reason that it does not work is that the two browns need to be in the end live terminal, not the loop. The earths need to have earth sleaving and both go in the earth terminal. I am assuming that there is a joint box somewhere and a cable goes from that to the first light then the second.

The reason that it does not work is that the two browns need to be in the end live terminal, not the loop. The earths need to have earth sleaving and both go in the earth terminal. I am assuming that there is a joint box somewhere and a cable goes from that to the first light then the second.
See #7 and #18.

Reply to Help wiring a ceiling rose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock