Discuss Help wiring a light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Oliver Jones

I have just moved into a new house and need to wire in a new light I bought from B&Q. The fitting on the ceiling upstairs looks like the attached image. Am I right in thinking I just need to insert the wires into this existing fitting on the right and left hand side then wire the earth wire from the fitting in the image to the new light?

Help wiring a light fitting phjoto.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Help wiring a light fitting photo.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Best advice is get a sparky in mate, there's more to doing this correctly and safely than bunging a few wires in

nope, I understand the implications of assisting so I wont. but then wouldnt you just have the S/L & N @ the c/r. it does nothing to have the one permanent in their on its own no?

agreee, something not quite right there.

nope, I understand the implications of assisting so I wont. but then wouldnt you just have the S/L & N @ the c/r. it does nothing to have the one permanent in their on its own no?

The pic tells me feed is at the switch there is a single switch live coming from switch and the neutral is looped round the ceiling roses and they didn't have any single neutral so that's why the loop is doing nothing. Just a guess that is

I have just moved into a new house and need to wire in a new light I bought from B&Q. The fitting on the ceiling upstairs looks like the attached image. Am I right in thinking I just need to insert the wires into this existing fitting on the right and left hand side then wire the earth wire from the fitting in the image to the new light?

View attachment 13426

View attachment 13425
Yes you are right in thinking that. You may have to remove the existing pendant to get the bracket on the ceiling. Turn the circuit off at the fuse board, the middle red will be live even with the light switch off.

Couldnt this just be the last lighting point?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you really want to have fun, call a plumber, but make sure your house insurance is up to date. :sailor:

Reply to Help wiring a light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock