Discuss Help wiring a light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to wire a light. I have a single pole switch and then a ballast and finnaly the lamp.

The symbols on the ballast show where to plug in the earth but the other 2 connections have the same symbol so which one should be live and neutral? (See pic)

The second pic shows the wiring diagram on the ballast to the light bulb. It shows connections 1, 2, 3 and 4 so far so good unfortunately the light fitting has 6 connections see (3rd pic) so I'm confused as how I'm supposed to know which wire connects to which connector. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_181626.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200330_181632.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200330_182404.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
Re the mains input, it likely does not matter which way round L & N are connected. The earth wire should be sleeved, not bare copper.

Re the lamp connection, are you sure it has 6 separate connections? I can only see numbers 1 to 4 marked on the connector, but maybe that is just the photo not showing others. What type of lamp is it (model/type number)?

Re the mains input, it likely does not matter which way round L & N are connected. The earth wire should be sleeved, not bare copper.

Re the lamp connection, are you sure it has 6 separate connections? I can only see numbers 1 to 4 marked on the connector, but maybe that is just the photo not showing others. What type of lamp is it (model/type number)?
OK thanks regarding the light fitting it has 1 to 4 marked but 1 and 4 appear to each have 2 connections so I'm not sure how to wire that. Regarding the bear earth the cable I got came like that with the earth bare. Its the only wire I have. Can I put the bare earth into a chock box and use a sheathed wire from the chock box to the ballast? Thanks

Oh I almost forgot the light is a pl-l18w germicidal 4pin.

The two connections at 1 and 4 are the same it doesn't matter which one you use. The bare earth should have green/yellow sleeving over it.

The two connections at 1 and 4 are the same it doesn't matter which one you use. The bare earth should have green/yellow sleeving over it.
OK thanks. Is the sheathing on the earth just good practice or will the earth bieng bare effect the function?

This light is for a sterilisation cabinet I can chuck my post into to kill any germs. I'll be the only one using it and It'll only be used for this pandemic. After that I'll probably dismantle it and re use the components. With this in mind is the bare earth safe to leave or shall I source more wire? (probably difficult now) if its a safety risk I'll replace.

The sleeving over the earth is good practice; without it there is more likelihood of the bare copper shorting to something that is not earthed and causing a fault. Actually if you happened to have some earth wire with green/yellow sleeving, you can just strip off a bit of the sleeving and fit it to the exposed copper of the earth wire.

The sleeving over the earth is good practice; without it there is more likelihood of the bare copper shorting to something that is not earthed and causing a fault. Actually if you happened to have some earth wire with green/yellow sleeving, you can just strip off a bit of the sleeving and fit it to the exposed copper of the earth wire.
Ah OK thanks does the earth need to be a special wire? Would a strip of the blue or brown wire I've already got be any good? I could always wrap tape round it or otherwise mark it so I know it's the earth? Just I'm reluctant to venture out for more cable

There is nothing special about the earth wire (in this case), the green/yellow colour is to indicate it is earth. If you happen to have green/yellow tape, you can just wrap that around the earth wire as a temporary alternative.

Reply to Help wiring a light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net