Discuss Help wiring a mechanical timer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ampletoni

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all!
I need help wiring my mechanical timer. I saw a similar thread but the cables are different.
Thread
My current installation:
current.jpg

My new mechanical timer:
new.jpg

The schematic for both wiring:
(New at the top, current at the bottom)
IMG_20181229_185837.jpg

I will really appreciate some guidance on the correct set up.
My guess is:
Blue from socket 1 to the new socket 1
Brown from socket 3 to the new socket 4
Green/Yellow from socket to none

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_195744.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
It is in the attic. I have access but I was hoping that it was just a matter of connecting the cables. It is something that I can do with the current layout? Do I need to run new cables?
[automerge]1572366796[/automerge]
Well it is a thermostat and it doesn't incorporate a neutral which your new timer needs to operate. Why don't you have access to the boiler.

Does all timers work with neutral? what do I need to look in the specifications to find one suitable for my current cables?

It doesn't work as a heating stat. It only has an on/off functionality. It is the only way that I have to put a timer as I don't have easy access to the boiler.

That is a thermostat, and yes it only has on off functionality because thats how a thermostat works.

You won't be able to directly replace it with the unit you have purchased as there is no neutral there.
You could fit a battery powered programmable thermostat there to overcome the issue as these don't require a neutral.

That is a thermostat, and yes it only has on off functionality because thats how a thermostat works.

You won't be able to directly replace it with the unit you have purchased as there is no neutral there.
You could fit a battery powered programmable thermostat there to overcome the issue as these don't require a neutral.
Well said, buzz.....and Westy ;)

Thanks everyone for the information. Really appreciate. I am now looking to contact a local electrician to do the installation (Oxford, UK), or find a 2 wire programmable thermostat.

simple answer is to buy a programmable stat thatis battery operated. no need for a N then., just replace battery every 12 months or so.

Reply to Help wiring a mechanical timer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net