Discuss Help with a 21ohm Ze in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum so maybe this situation isn't unusual but I have just done an EICR ( I've not done many) on a one bedroom vacant flat. All checks out ok in the flat and the RCD trip times are well within limits but at the incoming TNS supply with a 25 mm earth clamped to the armour sheath I get a Ze of 21ohms so naturally none of the circuits comply with max Zs values. Is it the DNOs responsibility to fix this because surely I can issue a Satisfactory EICR!

It is not as uncommon as you may think, armour breakdown along the route or at a junction is possibly why the earth is high, legally if it still is the same the DNO do not have to supply an earth and it is down to the electrician to provide a suitable earth when needed, however given this was the failure of an existing earth already provided I would be notifying the DNO about the situation.
Your part in from here changes, you need to ensure that the installation is not unsafe and RCD operation is not to be relied on here, you may have to rod the property on a temp' or permanent basis depending on what the DNO decides to do, the last few occasions I have come across this they had to convert the street to TNC or PME.

I haven't done domestic for 20yrs so others more up to date may say different and it may even be regionally different but the common factor here is you don't leave a unsafe installation and a minimum you take measures to make it safe if you intend to leave it energised.

Hi - it sounds like a fault with the earthing arrangement which is reported in Item 1.2 of the Report. My 20p worth is - with the importance of earthing to electrical safety this would not be a satisfactory report, regardless of who might fix the fault.

It is not as uncommon as you may think, armour breakdown along the route or at a junction is possibly why the earth is high, legally if it still is the same the DNO do not have to supply an earth and it is down to the electrician to provide a suitable earth when needed, however given this was the failure of an existing earth already provided I would be notifying the DNO about the situation.
Your part in from here changes, you need to ensure that the installation is not unsafe and RCD operation is not to be relied on here, you may have to rod the property on a temp' or permanent basis depending on what the DNO decides to do, the last few occasions I have come across this they had to convert the street to TNC or PME.

I haven't done domestic for 20yrs so others more up to date may say different and it may even be regionally different but the common factor here is you don't leave a unsafe installation and a minimum you take measures to make it safe if you intend to leave it energised.
Thanks for the reply, It's a third floor flat no garden in Central London. I can't see the neighbours in the basement being to happy with an earth rod in the middle of the sitting room?

If this is a 3rd floor flat then is it DNO issue or a sub mains on consumer/landlord side, I am not too ofay with how they arrange supplies in multi occupancy buildings in London. Do you have a cutout in the flat itself?

3rd floorflat could have a perfectly good Ze at intake but then fed to flat in SWA which maybe incorrectly terminated ( i.e. armour not connecting with supply earth.)in which case it's the sparky's responsibility.not DNO's.

3rd floorflat could have a perfectly good Ze at intake but then fed to flat in SWA which maybe incorrectly terminated ( i.e. armour not connecting with supply earth.)in which case it's the sparky's responsibility.not DNO's.
There is a Distribution board on the ground floor where the suppliers feed comes in, 3 phase and earth, that's where I measured the reading, that is a direct Ze reading of the suppliers cable where it enters the building so I figure the other two flats in the building will also have the same problem.

There is a Distribution board on the ground floor where the suppliers feed comes in, 3 phase and earth, that's where I measured the reading, that is a direct Ze reading of the suppliers cable where it enters the building so I figure the other two flats in the building will also have the same problem.
it's DNO's problem then. if they have supplied the earth, then they are obliged to maintain it.

Reply to Help with a 21ohm Ze in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock