Discuss Help with a 240 Dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I am trying to help a family that was given a 240v electric dryer. They live in an apartment complex and unfortunately cannot modify the walls or electrical in any way. I've been thinking of taking 2 different receptacles off different poles, and then wiring them into a small subpanel with a 30amp breaker in it attached to a dryer socket that'll accept 240. i understand this is probably not the best solution, but it seems to be the only option i have at the moment. will this even work?

TL;DR
basically have a 240v dryer with no way to wire it into the panel. i plan on using two receptacles from different poles to make it work... is it possible
So I am trying to help a family that was given a 240v electric dryer. They live in an apartment complex and unfortunately cannot modify the walls or electrical in any way. I've been thinking of taking 2 different receptacles off different poles, and then wiring them into a small subpanel with a 30amp breaker in it attached to a dryer socket that'll accept 240. i understand this is probably not the best solution, but it seems to be the only option i have at the moment. will this even work?
Be careful because you are right you don’t have a lot of options. The wiring you attach to has to be #10 wire at the least.

Be careful because you are right you don’t have a lot of options. The wiring you attach to has to be #10 wire at the least.
it is definitely 10. i set it up and i believe it'll work. but i was plugging it into a gfci and it trips before i even turn on the power so i'm not sure if that's because there's no load to the wire yet or how that works

it is definitely 10. i set it up and i believe it'll work. but i was plugging it into a gfci and it trips before i even turn on the power so i'm not sure if that's because there's no load to the wire yet or how that works
What you are doing there is no way a GFCI will work.

well technically i'm pulling off of 2 20 amp breakers. i have 10awg running to a "sub panel" with a 30 amp breaker in it so it's correctly protected. at least in my mind that's what i'm thinking
You still only have 20 amps. You do not have 40.

Figure a dryer at 5000 VA ÷ 240 =21 × 1.25 you'll need 26 amps on each pole.
Make sure they have working smoke detectors

Last edited:
well technically i'm pulling off of 2 20 amp breakers. i have 10awg running to a "sub panel" with a 30 amp breaker in it so it's correctly protected. at least in my mind that's what i'm thinking
yeah i figured as much i'm just honestly worried about trying a regular receptacle too tbh.
If you are coming out of your panel and don’t have enough space to install a 30 double pole breaker, you can buy slim line breakers and free up space That way. Please be safe

If you are coming out of your panel and don’t have enough space to install a 30 double pole breaker, you can buy slim line breakers and free up space That way. Please be safe
The OP said he was unable to get access to the panel. He's pulling 120 volts from two separate outlets / circuits to get 240. It's one of the craziest things I've heard. However, I'm new to this forum. Most forums would shut this thread down in a hurry.

The OP said he was unable to get access to the panel. He's pulling 120 volts from two separate outlets / circuits to get 240. It's one of the craziest things I've heard. However, I'm new to this forum. Most forums would shut this thread down in a hurry.
Your right about what the OP is wanting to do and no matter what we say he’s going to do it anyway.

it is crazy i know. it's something i really don't even want to attempt but the only other option is some kind of step up transformer but i don't think i'm able to get my hands on one

it is crazy i know. it's something i really don't even want to attempt but the only other option is some kind of step up transformer but i don't think i'm able to get my hands on one
Be safe my friend, what you are trying to do is dangerous and could cause overloading of the circuits that you are wanting to tap from.

Reply to Help with a 240 Dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net