Discuss help with a laundry closet light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mrroberts

DIY
Reaction score
Recently purchased a new washer and dryer that are stacked in hall closet. When the old items were removed I noticed I have light fixture that I never seenb before. I took off plastic cover and noticed a two prong light. This light has not worked in the 7 years i lived in my unit. There is no apparent light switch for this light . I did purchase a new replacement bulb with no luck. My naive assumption is this light is supposed work in the closet door is opened. I am more curious on how it works than having a light. I have a attached a picture . I would appreciate any help on this . thanks

help with a laundry closet light laundry light - EletriciansForums.net

Recently purchased a new washer and dryer that are stacked in hall closet. When the old items were removed I noticed I have light fixture that I never seenb before. I took off plastic cover and noticed a two prong light. This light has not worked in the 7 years i lived in my unit. There is no apparent light switch for this light . I did purchase a new replacement bulb with no luck. My naive assumption is this light is supposed work in the closet door is opened. I am more curious on how it works than having a light. I have a attached a picture . I would appreciate any help on this . thanks

View attachment 52423
MrRoberts I have never seen a light like that or try to take a better picture of it as for it coming on when the closet door opens I’m sure it would need some sort of motion detector

I'm just interested to see if we can find a switch! :D

Any markings on the wall at all that might show where the wiring was channelled in? If at all?

You checked all the fuses in the main board are okay and whatnot?

(That's literally where my advice ends here :D I'm not an electrician at all)

It looks like a 9w tube or similar. I would assume there is a switch that activates upon opening of the door. As Dan says is there evidence of a switch on the door frame?

Thank you for the help. There are two strike plates on top of the door frame. I took the plates off and found nothing. It is funny that for so long I had no idea that there a light and now it is bugging me I can figure out how it works. I will ask my neighbors if they have the same setup . This is the light bulb : GE Lighting 97569 13-Watt CFL T4 Facilities Light Light Bulb I found no switch on the door frame
Does the light have a motion detector built in it?

Thank for the help. I am away from home for a couple days. I will to take a better picture when I return . There are wires going into the wall above the closet door. There is a small square object near the non prong end of the bulb that is part of this unit.

I very curious . Do not care about the light

Looking forward to an update when you're back then. :)

I think we should investigate this just out of curiosity alone, even if it means chasing the wall a bit to see where wires go? ;) :D :p (I'm kidding)

Reply to help with a laundry closet light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock