Discuss Help with apprentice wages in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
I am an apprentice electrician and I study at college in the evenings which I pay for myself. My employer pays me an apprenticeship wage which is awful and I feel like I may be getting mugged off abit. The employ doesn’t help me with anything at all? Is everything they’re doing legit?
Thankyou

Hello,
I am an apprentice electrician and I study at college in the evenings which I pay for myself. My employer pays me an apprenticeship wage which is awful and I feel like I may be getting mugged off abit. The employ doesn’t help me with anything at all? Is everything they’re doing legit?
Thankyou
Do you have any paperwork to say you are serving an Apprenticeship? could be your employer is taking the Micheal.

Check with your employer's Scheme, the only problem I can see will be a difficult working relationship between you and you Boss.
Far to many "Apprentices" in this situation, which is why I am sometimes accused of being outspoken with regards to so called Apprenticeships offered by small Companies these days, not all I hasten to add, but there are those who view the Apprenticeship Scheme as a route to cheap labour.

Last edited:
How big is the company you work for? Also how far are you with your apprenticeship?

This happened to me in away, I didn't get paid for my apprenticeship due to being a 3 man team that was struggling for work, but was entitled to day release at collage.
My advice would be to stick it out as the site expirance is priceless. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Accas helpline number 0300 123 1100, they'll help you check if you are entitled to the minimum wage.
It is illegal to pay under the minimum wage if you are not an apprentice, apprentices don't pay for their own training. Your employer could potentially be jailed.

I should add that your employer could potentially be jailed under proposed new legislation at least, though it remains to be seen if parliament will pass it.

Reply to Help with apprentice wages in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock