Discuss Help with bathroom ceiling lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Jo

Hi All,

Domestic diy'er here in need of advice please!!

I'm wanting to replace the bathroom ceiling lights in our 10 year old house. Trouble is that the new fitting sits flush to the ceiling but the builder had originally put a surface mounted connector on. There are four circuit cables coming into it. What is the best and safe way to 'sink' the connector into the ceiling? Directly above the hole is a batten that runs right across the ceiling so I can't move that.

My ony thought is to cut out the plaster board and mount the connector directly onto the batten. This should give me enought depth to fix the new fitting flush to the ceiling with the connections safely above it. Does this sound OK? Are there any regulations that say electrical connections have to be 'on the other side of plaster board'? I'm thinking fire prevention here, there is loft insulation above it.

Can anyone help me ...please.

Cheers.
Desperate John.

what type of lights are they ,and what type of connector is it ,,as you say a connector is on a ceiling in a bathroom :confused:
whats above the bathroom, are all the cables comming from the connector surface mounted ,im asuming the connector is a junction box and not a terminal block(chocolate block)

Last edited by a moderator:
get a spark in to do it! any work in a bathroom needs rcd protection and a test for a cert!

This is a special location with zones for different types of lights etc, need correct ip rating etc.

thats my advice.

:)

Thanks both for your replies.

I'm only replacing one existing fitting with another ...does that require updating with rcd protection? The new fitting is a proper bathroom one sealed against moisture etc and it's going in a zone that it's specified for (if that makes sense!!).

The connnector I referred to is the one from inside the original pendant fitting. It's a set of 3 lots of 3 screw terminals on a plastic base ...it's not a straight through terminal block. Please excuse my terminology!! The cables all go stright up into the loft above.

I know getting a pro spark to do it would be a simple answer but I thought I could cope with changing a set of lights!! But I can't amagine how anyone would be able to overcome the flush fitting problem ...hence my question.

John.

What about going into the loftspace above the light and cutting the cables up there and connecting them up there and poking a cable through the existing hole in the bathroom and connecting it into the light?

That way you only have one cable at the light

Hi Lucas,

Nice thought ...but way beyond what I would have a go at as a diy'er. Anyway, it's more the connecting block that's in the way rather than the cables, it sits proud of the ceiling meaning I can't fit the new one flush to the ceiling ...it's got one of those batten/bracket fittings across the top of it. Sorry, I realise I'm not explaining this very welll ...I know what I mean as I can see it!!

John.

I'm guessing i'ts one of those bowl type semi-flush fittings with no room for connections.........In my experience the only satisfactory way to connect these is to pull the 4 cables up into the loft,connect into a proper joint box,and then run a single heat resistant flex into the light itself. You can replace an existing fitting yourself without notifying or having to upgrade to RCD protection but if this is beyond your capabilities get a sparks to do it....If the fitting is class I the risks in a bathroom if you get it wrong are substantial.

It says it's Class I (IP44??) on the box. Dare I ask what could go wrong?

It seems the general concencus is to re-wire from the loft. This does make sense but isn't something I feel confident to tackle. I could do it but would feel happier knowing it was done properly! It seemed such a simple idea at the time!!

John, your average spark will charge you £30 to do it..... And he'll do a quick test afterwards to prove the circuit is good, and protected.

You know it makes sense mate.

its not as easy as it seams ,youd be suprised how many people write on here not being able to reconnect the wires after they have been removed , you must identify the switch wire , all i can suggest if you are going to carry out the work is as wirepuller has said use a junction box in the loft space for the cables and drop down with some heat resistant flex ,doing this is a minor works which is notifiable as the circuit has been modified ,also to comply with the current regs the circuit should be RCD protected

Sounds like the OP is talking about the terminations in a ceiling rose and thus the rose is in the way of the new fitting.

If, as stated, disconnecting and re- terminating connections above ceiling is beyond the DIY capabilities of the OP then the answer is obvious.

furthermore,
Any holes made to pass cable in the ceiling should be sealed with a fire rated sealer to maintain the rating of the building design. So, if you cut a hole in the ceiling and replace it with plastic this is not suitable.

As others have stated please get someone who is trained and skilled to do a safe job.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP??

Seems like it's a no brainer to me. For £30 I guess it's done safely and without worry. Will the spark pass it as safe without me having to notify anyone?

Final question then ...can anyone recommend a good spark in the Wigan area??

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Regards.
John.

OP??

Seems like it's a no brainer to me. For £30 I guess it's done safely and without worry. Will the spark pass it as safe without me having to notify anyone?

Final question then ...can anyone recommend a good spark in the Wigan area??

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Regards.
John.

If I wasnt snowed under for the next few weeks I'd do it for you. Just look for a local NIC/ECA/Napit spark, he'll do it on the way home one night in 30 mins flat.

Not yet. I've got a list of possibles from the link but not contacted anyone yet. It's not urgent, the original light is still in place, so it's a bit of a 'when we've got more time' kind of job!!

John.

Reply to Help with bathroom ceiling lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net