Discuss Help with classification on a shepherds hut in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, been scratching my head on this,
I’ve been asked to wire 3 diy built shepherds huts and can’t decide how to classify them.
the terms of the planning permission state they need to be able to move however they have tiny metal wheels and the owner will probably get arrested if he tried to take them on the road! Do I treat them as a caravan, use flex, double pole mcbs, and all the other rather stringent measures or could they be mobile/ transportable units? Or go even further and class them as a posh shed??
Any experience/ advice greatly appreciated!

I’ve been asked to wire 3 diy built shepherds huts and can’t decide how to classify them.
the terms of the planning permission state they need to be able to move however they have tiny metal wheels and the owner will probably get arrested if he tried to take them on the road! Do I treat them as a caravan, use flex, double pole mcbs, and all the other rather stringent measures or could they be mobile/ transportable units? Or go even further and class them as a posh shed??
.I have no imediate answer for you Mate I would consult the CoP for ISITEE (THE OLD PAT C o P) for further info.

Any experience/ advice greatly appreciated.
Any experience/ advice greatly
Spoken to a couple of ready made hut manufacturers who were very cagey and didn’t want to give advice however one let slip they used t&e on theirs which would be my preference as I hate wiring in flex. Just looks bodgy! The distribution will be as a caravan park with designated supplies and commando sockets on the hookup

Spoken to a couple of ready made hut manufacturers who were very cagey and didn’t want to give advice however one let slip they used t&e on theirs which would be my preference as I hate wiring in flex. Just looks bodgy! The distribution will be as a caravan park with designated supplies and commando sockets on the hookup
.I have no imediate answer for you Mate I would consult the CoP for ISITEE (THE OLD PAT C o P) for further info.
Thanks Pete, I’ll give them a try.

It sounds a bit awkward with them being DIY.
Transportable units, I'd say.

'hut manufacturers very cagey', eh.....?

Theres caravans with wheels, that can go at speed.... and static caravans, that although have wheels, only get towed around sites really slowly.
Touring caravans use flex, statics have T&E.... id say your shepherd huts are more statics than touring vans.

It sounds a bit awkward with them being DIY.
Transportable units, I'd say.

'hut manufacturers very cagey', eh.....?
When I say diy, being built by a chippy but not from a manufacturer. When I tried calling other manufacturers they were less than willing to advise. Sale lost I guess!

Theres caravans with wheels, that can go at speed.... and static caravans, that although have wheels, only get towed around sites really slowly.
Touring caravans use flex, statics have T&E.... id say your shepherd huts are more statics than touring vans.
That’s what I was thinking little spark. These things will move a meter to prove they are mobile and that’s it. But does that cover my a**e if there was ever a problem?!

I guess its your definition of a "transportable unit"? but thats the same as a static caravan, on wheels, or even a portacabin... which doesnt have wheels, but is "transportable"

If you go the caravan route.... wire internally as you would normally, but the external hook up would need to be in line with "special locations" chapter of the reg book. although, its not technically a caravan park??

Thank you all for your help.
Reading further into the regs it looks like transportable units also require flexible cable and from what I can gather static caravans do too. Looks like flex it is then.
going to be fun getting all the circuits through the thin stud frame! At least if I call it a transportable unit I won’t need double pole mcbs and an enormous db. Unless I use rcbos?....... Anyone disagree with any of the above?
with regards to the supplies I think it would be best to stick with caravan park rules to totally cover ones back. Customer isn’t going to like the bill at the end. ?

I’ve worked in static caravans and portacabin types and confirm they are wired in regular solid core t&e....

Flex is used in touring caravans as the relatively high speed they can be towed at causes vibrations that aren’t good for solid core

it is however your job, and you might find it easier to work with flex in this particular situation.

I’ve worked in static caravans and portacabin types and confirm they are wired in regular solid core t&e....

Flex is used in touring caravans as the relatively high speed they can be towed at causes vibrations that aren’t good for solid core

it is however your job, and you might find it easier to work with flex in this particular situation.
That’s interesting.
I wonder if the flex in transportable units thing is an 18th edition addition as it definitely states only flexible cable in section 717 as well as 721. I’d love to do it in t&e as it’s so much easier and definitely cheaper.

Ok... it’s been a while since I was in a static... 10 yr plus... but these were brand new, straight from the factory, so would be 17th amd3 at the time.

the terms of the planning permission state they need to be able to move however they have tiny metal wheels and the owner will probably get arrested if he tried to take them on the road!
The law re them being "transportable" applies to the actual structures, not practical realities. Even if you had a pretty large building ( up to 20m x 6.8m) that would need to be craned onto a low-loader, and there was no access for a crane and no road large enough for the low-loader, it would still comply as long as the building was capable of being moved about.

It's probably unlikely, but I guess possible, that the council might get antsy if these are true all-me-own-design-guv huts with no "proof" that they are "mobile". Fortunately not your concern though...

Reply to Help with classification on a shepherds hut in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock