Discuss Help with contactor wiring! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whitewishes

Hi,i would like to ask if it is possible to connect a circuit breaker to a contactor and from the contactor to a one way switch.If so, may i ask how should i go about doing it? :???:
the model of the contactor i have is LC1D09JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,i would like to ask if it is possible to connect a circuit breaker to a contactor and from the contactor to a one way switch.If so, may i ask how should i go about doing it? :???:
the model of the contactor i have is LC1D09JD

Wire strippers and a screwdriver!

Welcome to the board. Honestly mate, tell us what you're trying to achieve. Better still, tell us whereabouts you live and someone on here may well be close enough to call in and sort it out.

Sorry for the vague information given.
What i'm trying to achieve is to turn on the lightbulbs with the contactor or via the switch.

i'm using a 230V output UPS for my power source.
My contactor will be connected to a step up 5 to 12v voltage regulator as i'm going to use the microcontroller to send in the voltage.
As for the wiring part, how should i connect the circuit breaker to the contactor?

I think you're totally out of your depth here. I assume that you're using this setup because these are the parts you happen to have.

You need to start with the load you're trying to control. What is the power of the lamps? What current will they take? Then select a contactor or relay which will switch that current and will interface easily to your control circuit. If you can, use a small relay; it'll be easier to drive than a contactor.

What is the resistance of the coil of the contactor/relay? I'm assuming it's a 12V DC rated coil as you mention a 5V to 12V converter. Knowing that, can then work out how much current is needed to drive the coil.

Then design the interface between the microcontroller and the relay/contactor. Using the output of a microcontroller to supply a step-up converter won't work; the microcontroller won't be able to produce enough current to drive the converter. Once you've sorted out a supply for the contactor or relay, you'll probably have to use a bipolar transistor or FET to provide enough current to drive the relay from the microcontroller.

Since this is switching mains voltages, I suggest you try very hard not to kill yourself.

Reply to Help with contactor wiring! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net