Discuss Help with designing yard lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I have to get some lights up to light our yard up at work, coming from a domestic background I just need a little help with what type and quantity of lights I should use please.

The yard is approx 50m x 50m with buildings on two of the sides you can see the yard here on google earth 52° 4'32.13"N x 1°20'33.24"W

I am only intending on fitting the lights to the building and not putting up any extra lighting poles so the yard will only be lit from 2 sides, the dist bord is right in the corner of the two buildings so the max run in either direction will only be 40m

So basically my question is how many lights of what type and wattage
what type of contactor to use

Many Thanks

How high could the lights go ? That's a fairly big factor. There are some good LED floods about now. We have changed a lot of 400w hqi's for 100w LED's and I'm impressed.

i would use metal halides . maybe 4 x 150watt would do it. all depends on how bright you need the yard to be.

We've just replaced the Sodiums with LED lights on our lorry docking area, good light output and instant starting, I think they are spaced about 10m apart. They cost more than Sodiums but are much cheaper to run.

I was going to suggest 5 Sodium Sox fittings with photocells on them and controlled via a time clock and even a override switch down the main area which would do the Job, spread evenlly apart pointing towards the 50 mtr part of the yard, however after reading the replies so far I like robotstar5 s reply considering LEDs and think it may be a better option long term if they are as bright as suggested, I know LEDs have come a long way in the last 12 months and look forward to seeing the link also.

I was going to suggest 5 Sodium Sox fittings with photocells on them and controlled via a time clock and even a override switch down the main area which would do the Job, spread evenlly apart pointing towards the 50 mtr part of the yard, however after reading the replies so far I like robotstar5 s reply considering LEDs and think it may be a better option long term if they are as bright as suggested, I know LEDs have come a long way in the last 12 months and look forward to seeing the link also.

They are excellent, as said above I've changed a lot of 400w metal halides for 100w LED's and was surprisingly impressed.

Are you sure it is SOX and not SON

You will probably need a type C mcb, i installed 3 led floods and the initial inrush tripped a type B for some reason, maybe someone could enlighten me why?

Reply to Help with designing yard lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net