Discuss Help with earthing bathroom mirror in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster. I’ve tried looking everywhere for a solution to this, so hopefully someone can help me. I’m trying to wire my led bathroom mirror, but there are only positions for live and neutral but none for earth (the supply is a typical cable from the wall with live, neutral and earth). It is a type 1 so needs an earth, so could someone help me by explaining how I can safely earth it? I have attached a picture, hopefully it makes sense to someone. Thanks

Attachments

• Help with earthing bathroom mirror AF8FC76E-D90D-4FB9-B80B-70D867B2DA95 - EletriciansForums.net
    AF8FC76E-D90D-4FB9-B80B-70D867B2DA95.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 31
What is the enclosure constructed from, is there another rating plate aside from the one on the LED driver. The driver is Class II however that is the driver and not necessarily the complete fitting.

What is the enclosure constructed from, is there another rating plate aside from the one on the LED driver. The driver is Class II however that is the driver and not necessarily the complete fitting.
Hi, the surround of the mirror is metallic. The instruction manual is where i saw that it said it should be earthed. I couldn’t see any other rating listed on the mirror itself. Thanks

This is the outer cover of the mirror if that helps at all, thanks.

Attachments

• Help with earthing bathroom mirror 8CEE3AD8-0CD6-4983-811F-C73460481164 - EletriciansForums.net
    8CEE3AD8-0CD6-4983-811F-C73460481164.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 30
The double square symbol means that it's double insulated, and no earth wire is to be connected.
Are you sure the instructions say it should be earthed?

One issue is that there will be an earthing conductor on the supply cable, (the cpc)
It needs to be connected to something, even just a floating connector.

It can’t be cut off, neither should it be floating without anything on the end where it might connect with the live or neutral connections.

It’s all very well supplying things that are double insulated, but still need somewhere to park the cpc safely.

As above, can you show us the instructions where it says it needs to be earthed.

This may be one of those products where it is debatable whether it is suitable for the UK market.

As above, can you show us the instructions where it says it needs to be earthed.

This may be one of those products where it is debatable whether it is suitable for the UK market.
Good morning, thank you all for your replies. It is mentioned in the notes section, attached. The wiring diagram it refers to is also attached but it doesn’t correspond to what I found on my mirror. I purchased it from bathroom mountain if that helps. Thanks
Edit: here is the link to the mirror, Mollie Black Framed Round Illuminated LED Mirror 500mm | Bathroom Mountain - https://bathroommountain.co.uk/mollie-black-framed-round-illuminated-led-mirror-500mm

Attachments

• Help with earthing bathroom mirror image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Help with earthing bathroom mirror image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 16
I probably wouldn't give that house space, the instructions refer to BS61 where it should be BS7671. I would seriously question its suitability for the environment and whether it is compliant to any standard, I would send it back to where it came from.

Reactions: DPG
I probably wouldn't give that house space, the instructions refer to BS61 where it should be BS7671. I would seriously question its suitability for the environment and whether it is compliant to any standard, I would send it back to where it came from.

You're very racist against bathroom lights Westy ?

Love how it says it must be earthed, and then the next line says it can be wired without an earth if you don't have one !!! That needs reporting back to the supplier. Too much dodgy crap around.

I tried looking up BS61 but it doesn't exist.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
If you really wish to use the fitting take the cable right into the terminal box and use the cable clamp onto the sheath of the cable so all conductors are correctly contained. The earth will have to be left "floating" on a separate connector.

Reply to Help with earthing bathroom mirror in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock