Discuss HELP with electric roller shutters in a shop in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damo666

Hi Guys,

Had a look at a job today and need some help, the shop has three roller shutters all going to seperate up/down switches (NEXT TO EACH OTHER) all with 3 core plus earth inside, i cant see any other cables without moving the displays, the customer would like an isolation switch put in next to the switches so one switch will isolate the three shutters, can anyone tell me what i need to do / find and any help on how these shutters are wired would help

thanks in advance cheers lads

could use a 4 pole contactor. one coil, 4 N/O contacts. gives D/P isolation

What about a 3 pole switch?
As used for fan isolation in bathrooms.
Put each of the feeds to the up/down switches into the 3 pole switch.

Again depends on the arrangements in the supply end, if its fed from seperate breakers i wouldnt be happy grouping them all in 1 switch, hence i diddnt suggest using a 3ph contactor.

this job was done by a local sparky who has since gone outta business its single phase all fed from one mcb, but looking at other circuits in the shop nothing would surprise me

nope, was me not thinking straight. was assuming common neutral, but then the neutral contact would have to carry the current of all 3 motors.DOH!

so the three shutters are fed from 1 mcb? the 3 core and earth are probably just control cables, why not remove 2 of the switches and put all three cables onto one switch?

so the three shutters are fed from 1 mcb? the 3 core and earth are probably just control cables, why not remove 2 of the switches and put all three cables onto one switch?
What if the 3 motors running at the same time overload the circuit. What if the customer does not want all 3 shutters opening at the same time? Does not leave the customer with many options. If there is a fault with one motor then none of the shutters will work.

Reply to HELP with electric roller shutters in a shop in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net