Discuss help with finding zs with rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marty1234

hi can anyone help me with zs
when testing zs using my metrel eurotest meter with a rcd . i canot get a correct reading . i have tryed the meter on diffrent settings but still cannot get it right. i have to get zs by caculation .when doing the test the rcd will trip out

hi, if your getting the results by calculation then all you need is a low ohm meter for R1 + R2 then do a loop test on your mains? i think?

when you say cant get a correct reading do you mean its tripping the rcd?

ps..glad i bought a fluke!!

you could always get some insulated leads with croc clips or summat and link out the rcd for the test?? used to do this a while back before getting a descent tester.

Last edited:
when testing zs using my metrel eurotest meter with a rcd . i canot get a correct reading . i have tryed the meter on diffrent settings but still cannot get it right. i have to get zs by caculation .when doing the test the rcd will trip out
:)i have got a metrel installtest ,have you tried setting it to no trip.;)

i set it to no trip and it gives me the zs but it takes a while and the reading is allways slightly higher than the calculation method.

thanks paul i set the meter to non trip to but the readings are a way out are you putting the meter on loop then on to rs(rcd10ma) to do the test

Just bought one of these (MI3100 Eurotest Easi) a few weeks back and have been checking it in the same RCD protected socket on our kitchen ring. With the 'trip-lock' selected it's been throwing up readings over 5 or 6 tests between 0.49ohms to 0.54 when I've just tried it again now. Seems to work a treat
same with the ramp test, consistent within +/- a few tenths of a mS. Can't ask more than that. My opinion will change markedly the first time it starts to play up but no trouble so far.

Chews through its battery pack though.

Last edited by a moderator:
no .on my meter i set it to no trip which is next to the l-n loop and l-e loop buttons,if im testing a 30mA rcd i set it to 30mA ,it is allways going to be slightly less accurate because it uses less current to do the test in order not to trip the rcd.

Reply to help with finding zs with rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net