Discuss Help with fitting an LED commercial ceiling strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all

I'm hoping for some help and hopefully not too much abuse

I have a strip light that went down at the bakery so bought a replacement...different brand but assumed it was fine.

All except I am an idiot and didn't check whether it was an emergency light or not (the one I am replacing is).

Now because the box is opened and because it's now partially fitted I would like to use it at least for next couple of days until I source a replacement that is emergency.

Issue is wiring isn't a straight swap and as you can guess I am not an electrician.

The new one looks like this, just a straight neutral, live and earth. The instructions say to put the switched live in the live connector.20190425_025555.jpg

However the old one is currently wired like this:

20190425_025542.jpg

And as you can see it has 2 live terminals...presumably one for the switched and one for the permanent.

So my question is can I make my new light fitting work and if so how do I wire it?

Thank you so much to anyone that takes the time to help with this.

Duncan

It will function once you know which of the L conductors are the switch supply and the other made safe until a different fitting is obtained. I could hazard a guess but that is not the way to proceed. The circuit needs testing to verify the purpose of the conductors.

connect the 2 brown L wires that are already together (permanent Lin and Lout)in a choc block, do not connect into the light terminal strip. then you have a single brown (switched L), 2 blue (N) and 2 cpc's (Gn/Y). the bold text is the supply to the light,

You will need to do all that work with main circuit breaker switched off..
Even though the light is switched off at the wall the brown wires will still be live..
Do you have something to test for voltage?

Reply to Help with fitting an LED commercial ceiling strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net