Discuss Help with full rewiring quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello. Homeowner trying to understand what is a fair quote for full rewire. We've had to tear the ceilings down as part of unplanned asbestos removal so it seems like a good time to rewire. The cabling in the loft is very yellowed/blackened. Would appreciate any help please.

1970s 3 bedroom ex-council house 87 m2. Ground and first floors. Kitchen, living room, hallway, bathroom, bedrooms.

Sockets, light switches, new consumer unit and certification. Replace old white plastic with chrome.

The house is completely empty. Ceilings have been removed.

The asbestos work was not planned for so just trying to keep costs under control however I recognise I know nothing about electricals and the cost of raw materials has rocketed over the last few years. Plus its London. Had quotes up to 9.5k + VAT.

Thanks for your time.

Costs depends a lot on what is to be installed, a few examples:
  • Sockets - maybe originally built with just 1 or 2 per most rooms, now you might want 3, 4, 5 or more?
  • Light fittings - just one central light or perhaps downlights, maybe with wall lights as well?
  • Consumer unit type - suggest an all-RCBO unit of decent quality, avoid anyone suggesting dual RCD unit.

Plus perhaps things you didn't have before, e.g. mains smoke alarm circuit, separate hob & oven circuits, outside lights, etc.
Now is the time to think carefully about anything you might want, it is so much easier to add now rather than later.

If you have a full spec of what is being quoted for, you might get some opinions as to whether reasonable.

£10k for a very basic un-occupied 3 bed re-wire in London is about right , I would not even entertain doing a re-wire for less just not worth the aggro
IF you start adding things like outside lights , maybe an outside socket , maybe even a car charging point the price will go up quite a lot.
But now is the time to get everything you want installed as once the carpets and flooring goes down it will be a nightmare to pull in additional circuits

Plus its London. Had quotes up to 9.5k + VAT.
London adds quite a bit of a premium unfortunately.

As above, don't skimp on stuff like wired smoke alarm, etc, as anything you want added or changed later is going to cost you far more time and trouble. Get a couple of quotes but don't just go with the cheapest. See if they can offer you references from past customers on similar jobs to see if they did good work. On-line reviews are also useful, but you always get the odd person complaining for no good reason so weigh up positive and negative reviews and ignore any that don't have a written explanation for why they were happy/unhappy.

Also to the OP please make-sure you get everything listed to what is Included in the Price

I know some sneaky sparks who Price a Re-wire and don't include 2 way switches in their Price , these are 'Extras' at £175 for 2 way

Also to the OP please make-sure you get everything listed to what is Included in the Price

I know some sneaky sparks who Price a Re-wire and don't include 2 way switches in their Price , these are 'Extras' at £175 for 2 way
Jesus £175 for several meters of triple lol

From what I've heard of London prices that doesn't sound bad. Remember cheapest isn't always best, and you could end up spending more to put it right!

Reply to Help with full rewiring quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock