Discuss Help with hive installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Twinny

DIY
Reaction score
Some help I have a glow worm 24c and I am trying to install a hive System coming out of the glow worm 4 wire L-N-E and black so I have wired L-N-E correctly and the back in terminal 3 the receiver is all works and both green lights but the boiler is not kicking in do I need to bridge the common and 1

Attachments

• Help with hive installation Screenshot_20200123-174705_Messenger - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20200123-174705_Messenger.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Help with hive installation Screenshot_20200123-174714_Messenger - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20200123-174714_Messenger.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 34
Have you checked the boiler manual? I seem to remember using a 5 core cable for mine, it has perm live, perm neutral, earth, common and heating on which all go to their respective terminals on the boiler PCB nothing was linked out

I have just found old receiver manual so it looks like I need to put a jumper on the live and common and the black in 3 is this right
[automerge]1579816180[/automerge]
The old manual

Attachments

• Help with hive installation 20200123_210127 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200123_210127.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 22
The hive needs 230v across l and n to power it. The switching circuits from your boiler may be lower voltages... (the Common, NO and NC) and linking the common to live may damage your boiler.

The earth at the boiler and the neutral at the hive backplate need to be reterminated so that there is no exposed copper outside of the terminal.

Then a link needs to be fitted between L and 1 of the backplate.
[automerge]1579857024[/automerge]
Have you checked the boiler manual? I seem to remember using a 5 core cable for mine, it has perm live, perm neutral, earth, common and heating on which all go to their respective terminals on the boiler PCB nothing was linked out

What did you do with the 5th core? The OP's boiler only has terminals for 4 cores.

Judging by the connections pic you posted you will need to link the com at the plate to 1 as your mains at the plate is solely for powering the receiver. You need a live to power the return black wire when the receiver switches the relay.

The earth at the boiler and the neutral at the hive backplate need to be reterminated so that there is no exposed copper outside of the terminal.

Then a link needs to be fitted between L and 1 of the backplate.
[automerge]1579857024[/automerge]

What did you do with the 5th core? The OP's boiler only has terminals for 4 cores.
I probably should have been clearer, I've got a different boiler and it has more connections I just assumed most boilers would be the same in terms of the thermostat connection

I probably should have been clearer, I've got a different boiler and it has more connections I just assumed most boilers would be the same in terms of the thermostat connection
Just be careful then, as some boilers use a Low voltage switching system for the thermostat. 0V to 24v so if you stick 239/240v up it you may blow up the PCB. Which isn't cheap to replace.

I have sorted it I meter the Black wire out in the boiler and it was 240v so I just put a jumper in between live and Common all working

Just be careful then, as some boilers use a Low voltage switching system for the thermostat. 0V to 24v so if you stick 239/240v up it you may blow up the PCB. Which isn't cheap to replace.
It's worked fine since installation, I used the boiler instruction manual to do this which is why I recommended that the OP also checks the manual

Yes luckily I found the Old manual and I did speak to the company who made the old controller to see if terminal 2 was 240-volt and they said with the bridge it would be so I know no it won't damage the motherboard

No they are not all the same, and you shouldn't make assumptions when advising someone on how to connect something.

Reply to Help with hive installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock